The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Charlotte, NC and I made the trip to Wilmington, NC and back today. Wilmington is about 3 or 4 hours from here. I reset the mileage computer before leaving for Wilmington and I averaged around 22 mpg for the trip there. However, on the trip home, I was travelling around the same speed, and averaged 15.5! Here are the conditions of each trip:

Charlotte to Wilmington:
left home with half tank of CITGO diesel. was about 53 degrees. took about a quarter tank for the trip and took about 3 1/2 hours to get there. averaged 22 mpg...

Wilmington to Charlotte:
left wilmington with a full tank of GOGAS diesel fuel. temp was in the lower 30s. took about a half tank this time, and still took about 3 1/2 hours. averaged 15.5 mpg!!??

Would cheap diesel (GOGAS) make this much of a difference? Or could it have been something else, like maybe the temperature? 7 mpg is a huge difference considering it was the same truck on same trip on the same day with the same load! any ideas?

Matt

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I drive 3000 miles a month, and I see this often. The strange thing is that I use the same gas station every two days. The tank I'm currently on is seeing 17 mpg running at 82 mph, and usually it's 15.5 for that speed.

Strange, isn't it? These diesels have too many variables for consistency.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You may have gotten winter fuel in Willmington. All the anti-gel additives do reduce milage.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey neighbor-

Two thoughts: Sounds like you're relying on the onboard system to define your mileage, not "fill-up to fill-up". My own onboard system is close to useless. I calculate fuel mileage with a calculator at the fuel station.

Also, you should have had a pretty stiff tailwind on the way down, and an even stronger headwind on the way back. We had W-NW winds building in strength throughout the day up here, just 75-100 miles north of your route. I would assume that would make a lot of difference.

Foy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts