The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been working on the location of the leak. After reading many posts, I had heard of weep hole on the fuel bowl.

Turned out on this case, the source of the fuel leak is on the weep hole of the fuel bowl. Of course, I am not too happy about it. :icon_mad:

Just wonder what is the purpose of having weep hole on the fuel bowl?

I can understand why have weep hole on the fuel pump and water pump. Only I don't understand why there is one on the fuel bowl. There is no moving part in that area. Anyone can chime on this?

Also, I rather to plug it than spend $300 bucks on the bowl itself. Heard one put J-B Weld on it and work fine. I rather not go that way. :nono: I found out that it is not a hole at straight up but at 45° angle direction. Not easy job to do tap it and screw it. I am pretty sure that fuel bowl is made out of aluminum.

Any idea or link for this leak fix? :read:

·
Premium Member
8,483 Posts
I have never heard of a weep hole in the filter housing. I have heard of them developing leaks in the bottom of them due to the fact that they are made of aluminum and if there is water in the bottom that isn't drained it will eat a hole in them. The only two solutions that I have heard of is to either replace it or take it out and get it nice and clean. Then take some JB Weld and coat the inside bottom with it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This post was overdued for the result.

I got it fixed. Sure enough, there is no weep hole at all as I decided to pull it out for once and all.

I was surprised to see the hole at the bottom. Water did this damage? Damn...

What I decided to do is to plug it with a bolt and nut and viton o-ring. I tapped into the hole to accept the bolt. I put the viton o-ring on the bolt before screw it into the bottom of the bowl. I tightened it with a nut inside the bowl. It works and the leak stopped.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It works for a while. It starts to leak once again.

Have anyone done aluminum brazing on the fuel housing before? I am considering this route.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What is the cost of a new fuel bowl? I use Seal All. Its about $7 for a large tube, its completely compatible with all petroleum products, and I've used it on gas tanks (while leaking, wet and under the pressure of gravity - full of fuel hole mid tank).

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had tried aluminum brazing on the fuel housing. It is one tough alloy. Not sure if it is possible to do this. I had tried it twice and the aluminum brazing rod won't start to melt on the housing at all. Seem that it would take a while to start brazing.

I am not sure how thick it is on the bottom part of the housing. Any idea?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts