The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
835 Posts
I cant remember if the 6.0 trucks are the same as the vans but the trucks have one fuel filter up by the oil filter, and another one about under the drivers door on the inside of the framerail. A 36mm socket is your friend.

· Registered
5,950 Posts
Lisle makes a socket for $8 that is great for the job (at most autoparts stores).

The Primary filter is also the fuel pump and water removal step. There is a plug (6mm IIRC) that needs to be removed to drain the water out.

· Registered
3,454 Posts
Welcome RM

If yours is van try e series forum. As mentioned dont know if same location on frame as f series, but do recall engine one is a knuckle buster to change. Good luck!

· Registered
5,950 Posts

· Registered
5,950 Posts
I wouldnt touch the water drain plug its steel and the housing is alum 9x out of 10 you will break somthing and that assembly isnt cheap. When you change the filter it also drains the water out.
A functional water drain system (and alert system) is part of a healthy fuel system IMO. The sump that holds the water is very small - the WIF light is an early warning system. You do not want significant water build up to be exposed to the fuel filter (it causes excessive pressure drop). Instead, you want to be alerted when there is water in the fuel so you can take action.

Yes, often times the plug strips out at the allen head because the plug is rusted in .... but many times it doesn't and there is a VERY GOOD aftermarket solution to the steel plug. It is well worth installing.

Even if the plug strips out, you can get a HFCM manifold plate (cover) for very little $$'s. Pretty easy to change also.

· Registered
6 Posts
I do have one of these vans and it is the one closer to the drivers side, under the hood their are 2 their and it is right by the oil dip stick. The guys on here said it took a 22m or a 15/16 socket to get it off. Do not try to use a 1/2 drive ratchet it tears the cap up, I wish I got on here a day sooner, I would of known that and not tor mine up. However if you did their selling on ebay for $40, the plastic ones at oreillys like the factory junk, sell for $54 in Cincinnati, OH. He's selling them for $45 but he has the make offer button, I tryed 35 at first, then $40 and that got it, with free shipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.