The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, was hoping someone could tell me what motor this fuel filter assembly is from. I've got a 92 f250 7.3 IDI, the PO had swapped the motor. I'd like to know where the FF and WIF sensors are located.

my fuel filter light came on, probably has about 400 miles on the filter, but the front tank did sit empty for 4-5 months before I filled it up and ran it over the weekend.

I wanted to check the sensor for grounds but I can't find it, doesn't match any of the other assemblies I've seen photos of, where the sensor is on the side near the schrader valve.

Also, I recently developed the classic hard start after warm up, fixed one leak from return line hoses and things improved, will replace all hoses soon, o-rings if needed, but I also noted some diesel sitting on top of the filter (visible in photo) so I'm guessing there is a leak there too. I pulled it off and the diesel level was low in the filter, maybe 1/3 full.

It's a FRAM, all I could grab, my guess is the recommendation will be to switch out for a better filter, the WIX from NAPA is usually recommended on this forum. I need a 1 piece because I don't have the lower bowl.

I put it back on because lordco gave me the wrong filter... the one they pull for my make/model has a much wider gasket

I also don't know where the WIF sensor is, the light was on when I bought the truck, and went out about 20 miles after replacing the filter, so it seems to be functioning.

any and all help appreciated - thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
That filter is an after market . Usually the WIF wire is simply left unhooked, and lays on the valve cover. Look around under the filter for wires that seem abandoned. If it is still hot, and touching ground, then that's where your light is coming from. The filter differential is a sending unit much like an old oil pressure sending unit, at least in appearance. It should be located somewhere on the filter head near the schrader valve. If not then somewhere between the IP and the filter. Yes I would use a Wix or Baldwin filter in place of that Fram you currently have. When you find the sending unit, ground the wire with the key switch on, and see which light comes on. I don't recall the part number, but the number on the filter you have should cross over to any major brand filter, as long an the counter man is worht his salt.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Isn't that an old 6.9 filter head?
You know...it might be. If that's the case it would have a water separator with a pull ring drain valve back by the firewall. I don't remember where the differential switch was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thank you. here's what I was able to find below the filter for wiring, it's clearly been altered, with a couple cut wires.

from left to right

1) sensor (don't think it is related to fuel as it's in the block?)

2) 2 cut wires, leading into harness coming off IP (couldn't tell if hot, too short)

3) crimped connection from wires between IP and wiring harness (hot with ignition on)

4) square block plug, four prongs inside, no output

I wasn't able to locate any sending unit between the filter and the IP, the only sending unit is in 1), but that's into the block with a 2-prong plug. I cleaned the wires with some brake cleaner.

Ill replace the filter tonight or tomorrow, see if that eliminates the problem.

I disconnected the engine harness connector, and cranked the motor over and the FF light still comes on. this would indicate that it's grounded from the connector to the dash, somewhere?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
You know...it might be. If that's the case it would have a water separator with a pull ring drain valve back by the firewall. I don't remember where the differential switch was.
It probably wouldn't have that separator if it's a 6.9 ENGINE in a TRUCK that originally had a 7.3. All depends on how the transplant was done. So, question for the OP - what engine is in the truck?

The numbers 1-4 are a little confusing. If by #1, you're referring to the sender way in the background beneath the thermostat gooseneck, that's the thermal switch for the cold idle/advance. Goes into a coolant jacket. Indeed, unrelated to the fuel system. The little rectangular block in the upper right of the frame in the pic posted above is a module for the WIF sensor (it's not the sensor itself).

The FF light (and, I believe, the WIF light) come on while cranking as a bulb check.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

I'll look into ID'ing the engine - any quick link for a reference?

You are correct about #1, and plugging it in with the ignition on I could here something clicking in the IP. that explains it.

I have bigger issues... nice and hot, 10 min cool down, would not start, I saw the front tank is leaking. My guess is from a fuel line or where the sending unit connects, because it is running all down the tank.

could this trigger the FF light - inadequate fuel delivery causing a vacuum? (still don't know where the sensor is :confused:)

this probably belongs in another thread, but if i remove the front tank temporarily, any issues with running just off the rear? probably need to plug the fuel line?

I'm sure the tank will need some repairs as the PO said he had it out to fix the gauge which does not work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts