The Diesel Stop banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
joedirt,
Is there anyway to resend your fuel seperator directions with NEW photos? For some reason none of them will open on any of our computers. I know I need to do this on my truck, but would like to go at it with a little more confidence.
Thx,
Dusty in Cali.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did it a few weeks ago and boy it's murder on your knees, but technically very simple. Try not to drop screws/tools into the valley of the engine. I dropped one of the four screws, but was lucky that it landed where I could see and reach it. I had to first get some of the wiring out of the way by disconnecting them, otherwise I couldn't get my small 1/4 ratchet in there and use it as intended.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey everyone... thanks so much for the information here.

I think I have the same problem like everyone else here... I have an 02 7.3 and its leaking fuel in this area.

Someone mentioned the 02's have a "third" O ring. Did I understand correctly that it DID NOT need to be replaced to fix the leak problem?

I'm going to attempt to do this very soon... not a mechanic by any means, but this sounds like something I can do if I can find the O rings.

Thanks so much everyone for all of this information. You guys have saved me a few times here with advice and technical information about my truck, not to mention all of the cool mods I have done as well, from your ideas...

I really appreciate it!!

Matt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good Help

Try this set of instructions as well, from Tom:

Separator Valve Rebuild

This is some great information. Thanks for taking the time to take pics and posting them. I have had a leak there for about two months just could not pin point it. But know i can save a few gallons.

P.S. got to love the low sulfur... :thdown:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just replaced my o rings... put it all together and it was still leaking. There is a another thing next to the fuel drain valve with a wire harness on it and the same screws as the fuel valve I took it apart thinking there was an o ring in there... well there were different ones in this one.

Anyway, I put that back together and it seemed like the screws were pretty loose when I took it apart and I tightened them down pretty good, and so far I haven't seen any fuel dripping.

So those of you considering this repair, try tightening your screws first. I hope this fixes my leak.

My yellow drain valve is pointing to the passenger side by the way...

Someone mentioned there may be 3 o rings in the newer trucks. I couldn't find a third one. I have a 2002 250.

Thanks everyone for all of the posts and the help.

·
Registered
612 Posts
FYI - the links to the pictures are dead/timing out - are they still there?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I used the link the post 202 and got the how to. Got it done today. Mine did not link much in the summer but winter is coming soon.

Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Diesel Stop is such a great help. My fuel leak and the O-ring replacement is no longer intimidating. The info is priceless. Well done.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I bought my Viton #202 rings on Amazon for $4.85 for a quantity of $25. Shipping is free if you're a Prime member, or if your total order is over the $25 limit (or whatever there offer is at the time...usually during the holidays it's even less like $15 order or something).

What I found I needed was a very small screwdriver, so I bought a thumb-and-forefinger "wheel" type screwdriver that took the small bits (you need a Torx 20, IIRC). I got a three-pack of those wheels from Sears, as they come in a three pack. VERY nifty little screwdriver set. Basically, if you can get your hand in there, the space only needs to be about as big as one of those magnetic/interchangeable screwdriver bits...so I've used them for other things other than automotive.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fuel leak

Hello all, I'm the proud new owner of a 03 7.3 250. I just registered on this site, and glad because I've seen all the great information that is available. Diesels are all new to me and I need to direction if anyone would be so kind to help. I noticed fuel leaking on the ground the other day on the drive way and after looking all over the place found the general area that it is coming from. There is alot of fuel in the valley of the motor. I cleaned it up and drained the water/fuel valve. I let it run for about 15 minutes and never saw fuel leaking again. Then, later on I went to the store and by the time I returned I saw fuel leaking on the driveway again. I've seen other post that it is the o'rings and that the fuel should be leaking from the drain tube and not in the valley of the motor. Could there be another problem other than the o'rings that needs to be replaced?
Thanks,
Stroken03

·
Registered
612 Posts
sounds like the drain assembly o rings, mine is doing the same thing. Hoping these temps (-27c) warm up somewhat so I can change mine soon... there is a good tutorial on changing them here

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, it was the fuel/ water drain seperator valve. Took me avout 30 minutes to do the entire job! Disconnected the batteries and used the thumb driver set with the torx 320 bit and it was a breeze. Be sure to disconnect the battery. The selonoids are close to the area that you will be working in. Good luck to those that need to do the job.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just did this to my truck...

FYI if this hasnt been said already... MEK and a old tooth brush works well for cleaning the yellow resudue off the drain valve..

my stock orings were shot.. cracking and very hard! The hardest thing about the job is that your in a awkward position the whole time!

·
Registered
51 Posts
As a very temporary fix, I found some 1/2 x 1/4 x 1/4 rubber grommets. This will get me through tomorrow I hope and will be parking the truck till the Oring store parts get here.

As a side note, I had this problem last winter when I drove to CO from San Diego. I had a leak, then it went away when I got back to San Diego. This year, same problem only much worse. So, cold appears to play a big roll in this...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just did this to my truck today. I wanted to replace the 3rd o-ring as described in this tutorial http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/FuelDrain.pdf

I couldn't locate the 202's so I went to the Stealership, they wanted $64 for the kit. So I went down the street to the International dealership. They wanted $12 for their kit.

When I got home I pulled the housing and removed the inner section as described in the tutorial to inspect and clean. I then pulled the inner section out of the International kit to see if it might have the correct size o-ring. It was one single piece instead of 3 like the ford part but looked like it was the same dimensions. It was a tight fit but went in. I started the truck up after cycling the fuel pump several times. No leaks.

Buy the International kit Part #1823562C91, pull the inner section out and install in the ford housing. There will be 2 spare screws also in the kit in case you drop one. Install the new 202's. You'll be glad you just saved $52.

I haven't seen where anyone is using the inner section of the drain valve. Even the International parts rep said that the Ford guys buy the kit take the 2 o-rings and screws and throw the rest of the kit away. The Int. kit is almost identical except that it is held on by 2 screws instead of 4, and the drain valve handle is longer.

Hope this helps somebody else.
Thanks for all the great info,
CC

·
Super Moderator
25,636 Posts
201 - 220 of 229 Posts