The Diesel Stop banner

221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
That part # must be a 94-97 drain valve if it's held on by only 2 screws.
I'll bet that International has the later 99-03 drain valve.

Here's some photos of a 94-97 drain valve.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f28/fix-your-fuel-leak-filter-drain-valve-130024/
It was the only part they had with the o-rings so I took it. I just thought that it was unusual that the inner section fit into the stock ford housing, so I changed out that section instead of changing the 3rd 0-ring. Also unbeleivable that their part was $12 vs $64.

thanks,
CC

·
Registered
14 Posts

I just stumbled on this thread after discovering a fuel leak on my 02, what an awesome thread! My eyes can't take the reading any longer so if someone can answer my question I would appreciate it.

My leak is coming out of the drain tube mounted on the frame on the passenger side of the truck. I do not have a leak on top at the fuel bowl and there is no fuel in the valley. Will replacing the o-rings stop the drip coming out of the drain tube? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I just stumbled on this thread after discovering a fuel leak on my 02, what an awesome thread! My eyes can't take the reading any longer so if someone can answer my question I would appreciate it.

My leak is coming out of the drain tube mounted on the frame on the passenger side of the truck. I do not have a leak on top at the fuel bowl and there is no fuel in the valley. Will replacing the o-rings stop the drip coming out of the drain tube? Thanks in advance.
Anybody got an answer to my question, I'm about to tear into this thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Got er done in one hour............ No more leak! For those interested I got the o-rings at Grainger here in Phoenix. 25 count for $6.25....... Cost me 50 cents to repair. Couldn't have done it without this site.

·
Registered
170 Posts
OMG, this FAQ article just saved me from taking my truck to the dealer.
I bought the fuel bowl heater and o-rings for the fuel drain valve (Got the o-rings from Granger, if anyone needs some, I have 23 left)
I checked the size of the screw head that came with the replacement fuel bowl heater and it was 3mm hex head. So I went to the local Snap On man and bought a 3mm hex head socket. I could not get the socket to fit, so I did a search here and found out it was a #20 Torx head. Had both heater and o-rings replaced in 10 or 15 minutes with the help of a 1/4 air ratchet, which I Highly recommend for this job.

Wayne B

·
Registered
3 Posts
+1 more on the fuel drain o-rings.

In my case everything was fine. I drove 2.3 miles to the store (engine barely warm) no leak (I pay close attention to my stuff). Drove 2.3 miles home (engine now up to normal temp) and I smelled raw fuel. Look under truck, have small (silver dollar) size puddle of diesel.

Drove it 5 more miles to see where it was coming from, now it was really coming out!

I had fuel in the valley and coming out the drain tube.

Can't believe this happened so fast!

Anyways thanks to this site I changed out the o-rings in about 30 mins.

I used a 1/4" socket with a T20 bit in it. I used adhesive lined heat shrink tubing to lock the bit in the socket.

Thanks diesel stop!

·
Registered
109 Posts
and another one.....

another leaking fuel filter drain on an otherwise perfectly running 7.3 motor.

mine leaked a bit several months ago, stopped when I actuated the drain valve a couple of times. Now, in a week it has gone from a drip to a puddle.

Since it appears to be a common problem......and from what I have found to read about it the culprit is the ULSD fuel......I have decided to opt to rebuild the entire fuel separator/filter. I figure that:
1: if the o-rings on the drain valve are deteriorating due to the fuel, so are the rest of the o-rings....
2: the job of replacing the drain valve/ o-rings looks like a PITA due to its location....
3: The entire fuel filter housing is pretty simple to remove....which makes the drain valve fix that much easier.

bought the kit from www.dieselorings.com for 17.95 and figure at least I will have a bit more peace of mind knowing that I wont have to mess with it again.....

221 - 229 of 229 Posts