The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a time or mileage interval for changing the fuel filters in 6.7l diesel
Thanks RGVal

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Macd7919, I have been told that also ,but I guess I meant to ask. What does the manufacture recommend? I have looked in the diesel supplement with no help. Thanks anyway and as you say cheap insurance.

·
Super Moderator
25,074 Posts
For what it's worth, the maintenance manual on the 7.3L recommended changing the fuel filter every 3rd oil change, which would be 5000 miles on the oil and 15,000 miles on the fuel filter.

[on edit] I just tracked down the Diesel Supplement for 2015 and on page 63 it says replace the engine mounted and frame mounted fuel filters at 22,500 miles. There's a footnote that says "or as indicated by the information display".

·
Registered
199 Posts
My 15 told me the other day I needed new fuel filters. I didn;t know it told me that. i didn't see anywhere to reset the fuel filter. I have replaced them before but this is the first time I got the message.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go into “information” and scroll through the options. There is an option to reset your fuel filter log similar to the one for when you change the oil.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Is there a time or mileage interval for changing the fuel filters in 6.7l diesel
As a general rule for the 6.7L I have always recommended to change the fuel filters every 15,000 miles or 600 engine hours. I see A LOT of neglect in my area and a lot of high engine hour usage due to extended idling. This specification comes from the Severe Duty listing which most of these trucks fall under. There is nothing wrong with the 22,500 mile or 900 engine hour interval but at that point you may as well let the fuel filter maintenance minder be your guide. At least then you are actually maintaining the truck with regularity.

FYI the engine hour specification is based on the 1 engine hour = 25 miles rule that Ford has consistently used and officially stands as a guideline for maintenance and warranty claims.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks every one that replied. I will be changeing the filter every other oil change better be safe then sorry. As a wise man once said It is "cheap insurance"

·
Registered
762 Posts
I don't think I ever remember seeing a pop-up to change my fuel filters. In my 2011 I changed them every other oil change, regardless of miles. So far on my '19, I am doing the same.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
So the $100 question is “How often do you change your oil?”
;-)

·
Registered
762 Posts
I usually change it according to the gauge. When it gets to about 20 percent or so, I will take it in. That's usually between six and nine thousand miles. Give or take.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts