The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone elses fuel gauge on their 2008 was as inaccurate as mine? I've had my low fuel light come on 3 times and it says 50 miles to empty but when I fill it up I can never get over 23 gallons in the tank and it's supposed to have a 30 gallon tank as it's a crew cab shortbox. I have a little over 3500 miles on the pickup and it doesn't matter if I was pulling a trailer the whole tank or if I'm driving empty the whole tank. Anyways I was just wondering if anyone experienced this before I brought it in to have it looked at. Thanks

· Registered
20 Posts
I just had my low fuel light come on yesterday w/ final read of 39 miles to empty. I managed to get 26.5 gal. of fuel onboard filling it to the neck. That seemed fairly acurate to me w/ the current mileage I'm getting. I'm not sure that we would know for certain unless we drained remaining diesel from tank.
Duk

· Registered
211 Posts
I read in the manual that the miles to empty is calculated on your last 500 miles of driving. So it is dependant of your driving habits, loaded or not...etc. So it is not actually reading fuel level in the tank in real time, but is calculating your AVG fuel consumption in respect to the tank level.

Seems to be some variables involved.

· Registered
86 Posts
yeah...same issue here. "50 to E" is a blatant falsehood. I've not been able to get more than 25 gallons even when the Dash-God told me I had only 12 miles to E.

Who wants to be the one to test actually how far you can go to E?

· Registered
263 Posts
I harpooned mine last weakend, distance to empty read 11, I guess I had 2~3 gal. left in tank. I did a post in the general upgrades forum. I figure in order to put 30 gal in you must fill to the top of the neck.

· Registered
111 Posts
I have found that the fuel guage in my truck is fairly accurate. I put 36.4 gals. in yesterday and the computer had said 17 miles to empty. I always fill to the top of the neck, from the same pump, facing the same way etc., etc. The guage read almost to the bottom line. In many ways, this guage is more accurate that the old '03.
It's just a learning process. If you changes just the fuel pickup in the tank, the guage would react differently, just the differences in the electronics. (for instance, a resistor rated at 5 ohms might actually be 5.1 or 4.9 ohms actual. Since the sender is actually reading a resistance from the lever, any variances in electronics would cause the guage to "read" different)

just my $.02

ps: the Computer comes on and says Low fuel exactly at "50 miles to E" each time.

· Registered
23 Posts
i had the same problem. I think that the diesel foams up & makes you think you are full when you are not. I will try on my next fill up & let you know.

· Registered
44 Posts
Good point Ford_350. I cant typically add at least 2-3 gallons after the initial pump shuts off. If I add it slowly and let the foam stay down.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had my pickup on the same trailer pulling the same load 3 times a week to the exact same places and the miles to empty still does not read right according to what I get in the tank. I tried last night at the pump to get it completely full after it clicked off by filling it to the neck and letting it go down and kept up the process until fuel stayed up in the neck and still couldn't get 25 gallons in the tank. I other thing I did notice last night after I reset the fuel trip is that my odometer was showing 38 miles from where I filled up till I got home and I know that it is 40 miles so maybe that is what is screwing up my fuel mileage calculations as ever since I have had the pickup I have always gotten better mileage by hand calculations that by the computer which was the opposite of the 2005 I had also the computer was always better than the hand calculation.

· Registered
19 Posts
The computer lies. Mine registers at least 1 mpg higher than the hand calculated mpg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.