The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel gauge is about 3 gallons off. It always takes up to 3 gallons more than is registered to top it off. As an example, today when I filled up, the gauge read 12.5 gallons used and 233 miles; 18.6 mpg. When I filled it, the pump was 14.5 which gave ~16 mpg. It's a little disheartening looking at 18.6 and then it's 2 1/2 mpg less. Is that an acceptable standard or should it be pretty well dead on?

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
HI Clev, is this the overhead trip computer? If so, dome things to know are; it take more than five gallons to register, starting on a hill is a problem, short trips are hard for it to calculate. Driving around in conditions that give you lowest mileage are calculated so if you have been diving say half a tank or so at say 15mpg and then you fill up before going on highway giving you better mileage or not, once you turn the key on, the tank will show full but miles to empty shown will be based on the fact you have been driving around since last fill up in town and were burning fuel at 15 miles to a gallon. After seeing highway mikes, next fill up the miles to empty number will be signifantly higher than at last fill up. Best to reset once in level ground, which is all of Texas.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi nick; this is trip info displayed in the dash panel. It gives gallons used, miles driven, and average mpg for (I think I have it set for the last 5 miles). And I always reset while at the pump; and it's always off. I don't put a lot of faith in the average, but I do check mpg regularly on fill up and compare it to the average. Not a real problem, but thought that I'd ask about it.

You doing ok tonight?

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Clev Im sorry buddy, I thought we were on that sweet conversion van.
I'm not versed on your new truck's electronic gizmos but I think if you get the factor manuals off eBay, I think you will find its set up in calculations and how it's setting when started. You said you test on fill ups so that's good. Another thing yo consider I'd that diesel will rally foam up on fill up lifting the sender than redropping. This us where the degree of hestaces built into the the gauge. They all have their quirks other owners and full time ford techs that here or see it everyday. My thing with the 6.7 was the root causes of what some trucks have as a regen problem. They were , ".let me know when head is out.
Sorry buddy

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick, you've helped me with so many issues these past few months, it's easy to get confused. :). Thanks pal, I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've heard that gauge called the 'lie-oh-meter' so many times that I now call it that without thinking. Mine is normally anywhere from 1/2 gallon to as much as two gallons off. I always try to fill - to the brim - and mostly at the same place. (BTW - to-the-brim is where I sit there and pump little amounts in constantly until the fuel no longer goes down past the 'breather' tube opening in the fill hose. Sometimes takes me a good while but the station I fuel at is one of the name brands and normally has the lowest price in town. Regardless, yes, my gauge is also off.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you sky. Maybe my 2-3 gallon error is not so bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts