The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my fuel heating element from advanced auto the other day. Went to put it in and...holy crap. Tried putting it in but there was no way in the time I had that day. Lookin like I'm gonna have to take the canister out to get that little connection in. Am I looking at that thing right? Or is there something I'm missing here. Thanks

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Which element did you get, the wire on the plate or the SD-style? In any case, you need to remove the black plastic standpipe (7/8" crows-foot wrench, standpipe is lefthand threaded) and remove the old plate (if you haven't already done so). You should be able to connect the small spade connector at that point (using some needle-nose pliers if necessary). Then replace the standpipe. Cheers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
diesel fuel heater element, '97 Pwr Stroke

I got the Dorman 904-210. thanks for the reply. gonna try and get to it this Sunday. Gotta put up Christmas lights too, the the heating element may have to wait. But it will definitely get put in as soon as I can get to it. Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I hope the Doorman is a decent setup. I had my first heater short out before anyone else even heard of the problem clear back in about 2000 and I figured out the short in my driveway with no help. Truck died in the driveway! What the heck good luck! Then I go to replace it and being the first one I broke off the standpipe before figuring it was left hand thread. Got the new standpipe and heater and by about 2005 it shorted out and blew another fuse, again in the driveway. I could have 2x been killed by getting stranded on I-25 in 75mph traffic, so I figured the whole idea was really more danger than good. Since then I have run without the heater here in Denver. Last winter on a real cold day the fuel filter restriction lamp came on and I was able to limp the truck off the road before it died and I think the restriction was gelled fuel. I walked home and got fresh fuel and filter and filled the bowl with the fresh fuel and new filter and barely got 1 mile, then switched to the other tank and had no further problems from there. After that filled the first tank to fresh fuel as possible and no more problems. Sorry to ramble, but my take on the fuel heater is it's a piece o crap. Decent fuel no need for it. Get fuel treatment in winter if needed in leu of the heater for a safer truck reliability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts