The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I run a FASS 60psi lift pump in place of the stock HCFM. So I have lost the ability to heat the fuel, which in my area is not a good thing. So I am wondering what everyone thinks would be the better option..

FASS electric heat probe and kit... or Plumbing coolant to the pump?

My thought is the electrical will fail sooner than running coolant, but I will have instant heat when the key is turned on. Rather than waiting for the coolant to worm up to heat the fuel. Although if I had the block heater plugged in, I would have heat for the pump right away I guess.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. I therefore tend to think the least complicated solution is the best.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point... After a few days or so of looking around and doing some research, here is what I have found.

Electric Option
-can be used with a switch to command its operation. Useful to get the pump warmed up pre-start, and for shutoff.
-the pump has space for 2 of these heater probes. Seems a bit overkill, but an option.
-instant heat regardless of outdoor temps.
-this option will not be heating fuel as well when traveling down the road in really cold temps.
-relatively quick install
-cost is $200

Coolant Option
-can be plumbed with a manifold/valve setup to divert/allow for coolant heat.
-flows through the pump rather than static electric probe, for full pump heat.
-will heat fuel while traveling at speed.
-heat to fuel will not be present until system is upto temp. Not so good for coldstarts.
-a few fittings, valves, hoses et.. needed. Could be plumbed in conjunction with coolant filter for full system shutoff?
-a few more steps to the install for this method.
-cost is closer to $100

I think I will start with the electric option, with just 1 heat probe. I like the option of having a switch in the cab, as well as it being instant heat. I could always add the coolant option at a later date, but to be honest, here in Toronto we rarely see the -20C I feel needed to justify this option. I am in the city more than on the hi-way, and I use good fuel all the time anyway. So I think the coolant heat to me is more of a need, than a want.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
It doesn't get that cold down here in DE, but I've never had a fuel issue related to cold. I've been in ME before when it was probably at least that cold at night and never had an issue starting the truck, even without being plugged in. I would say that if you were in ND, or one of those places where it can get down to -50 F or something its a whole other ballgame. Then you need to worry about everything (transmission, batteries, etc.). I think for your use a simple electric heater will be fine for peace of mind, though,as you say, its unlikely you really need it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could use a heating pad like they wrap batteries with around your fuel filter or water separator and run the cord to the same spot you plug the block heater in. You would have warm fuel to start and it doesn't take long for the warm return fuel to start warming the tank it self. You could also use one of the magnetic heaters right on the filter can, but that might get too warm and you would need to remove it before driving. I do carry a magnetic heater in my truck just in case, but have not needed it The newer OEM HFCM's no longer even have a heating element in them, and the one on my '03 has been non functional since about '05 with no problems, I do make sure to run winterized fuel and an antigel additive here in MN.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts