The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have the 7.3l idi turbo diesel redid all of the injectors and the injector pump not to long ago and then i did an oil change didn't due it at the time because i did it two days before and only ran it for about 20 minutes to make sure everything was running smooth i ran it for a few after all the work as well and then when i changed my oil there's was 6 gallons that dropped out super thin i smelt it and the only conclusion is about 3 gallons of fuel in my oil so i narrowed it down to a bad diaphragm in my fuel lift pump i replaced it and presto so i thought ive ran it about 40 miles since then and the oil is about 3/16th of an inch higher on the dip stick im at a loss here no clue the motor is only 40,000 miles old and everything is top of the line custom on it so i can rule out pitting in the cylinders and things along that line please help

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
That 3/16" could be the difference between hot and cold check.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
If your looking that close at the dipstick, make sure that the conditions are as close to exact both times. Maybe read first thing in the day, parked in the same spot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
both times parked in the exact same spot and i was pretty crazy about it left it sitting until it was cooled down all the way and the temperature outside was the same temp both times im pretty positive it was fuel again the stronger hint smell was back again and i had to run it today and it was higher again i know just about everything there is to know about engines but on this im at a complete loss.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Evel486 will know the answer, I wonder if the IP can leak fuel via the shaft attached to the gear.

I understand you changed it, but a failed lift pump can take out an IP.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If the cold seal on the driveshaft of the IP is rolled, it could allow fuel into the crankcase. There is a weephole in the pump housing that is supposed to allow the fuel to leak externally, but I have seen rare cases where the seal is rolled and blocks this weephole. Once the engine warms up a bit the warm seal takes over and the leak stops.
BTW- a failed lift pump rarely harms a DB2 pump.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
What happens if the pump runs dry, with a steel piston in an aluminum cylinder?

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Although he has a later engine, he could have an early pump that does not have the weep hole.
Another urban myth dispelled, thanks for the info!
I don't know if it's urban myth so much as "I work on my truck in the driveway so there's nothing I don't know about diesels/trucks" Seems like the more ridiculous the statement is the quicker it starts elsewhere and spreads over the forums:
Air tools have no place in an engine shop ...
But when your on the freeway, a 55-70 mph wind is fast enough to where the fan wont do anything anyway....
new injectors will most likely finish off the old injection pump
Copper washers under injectors harden over time
(The reason soft copper is used in many diesels is because it WON'T harden)
Never ever use a cork or rubber pan gasket...
CDR causes oil consumption....
You've gotten good advice as expected here. The book says that the IP and injectors should be replaced every 100k and together.

The wise words are endless, and my personal favorite direct from So. Ca.,
"Wyoming is full of places where an acre of land goes for a couple hundred, and a houses routinely sell for less than 30k..."
(In your dreams, buddy)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
even with the possibility of a failed lift pump taking out an ip the chances of a failed lift pump taking out a brand spanking new ip in 20 minutes aren't even measurable i pulled and examined the entire ip and everything checked out im a certified fuel systems inspector including diesel and propane the main thing they teach is injector pump and i know what and where to look for. it all checked out the only thing i could think of off the top of my head is alot of blow-by but everything in my motor is only 40,000 old so that doesn't make sense to have that much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts