The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new member and diesel owner here. I just purchased a used 03 f250 with the 6.0. When ever I buy a used vehicle I always change the fluids and filters asap.

I've also read tons of posts on this same topic, where mine differs is I've used motorcraft filters, I even went to the dealership this morning and bought a new filter cap for the filter housing that is on the frame. Which by the way is where my leak is. It was leaking around the cap after the filter change, was fine before I changed them out.

I did lube the oring with motoroil and I tightened the cap until it barely touched the housing, then just snugged it just a touch. I then purged the system of air and started the truck and let it idle while I crawled back under and touched a paper towel to where the cap and housing meet. All seemed good, after showing I decided to go back and check again and it's wet.

I don't understand why it's so hard to screw a cap on. Is there some trick I'm missing or could the housing be bad/warped or something?

Again I'm using motorcraft filters and brand new just opened today motorcraft filter cap from the dealership. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
22 Posts
I did lube the oring with motoroil and I tightened the cap until it barely touched the housing, then just snugged it just a touch.
You are supposed to torque the primary fuel filter cap to 19 lbs/ft (25 Nm). My cap makes a clicking noise as it gets close to being seated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Maybe you dinged the oRing when you put the cap back on. Or the housing is damaged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I broke the torque wrench out yesterday evening and torqued to 18.5. So far all seems good. I'm not smelling diesel, it's been raining though so can't see any spots on the ground. Will take a look when I get up for work this evening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts