The Diesel Stop banner

Fuel leak

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mlabelle 
#1 ·
On the way home from a 3 week trip out west pulling a 8,000lb travel trailer, I was in Nebraska filling up my fuel tank, right to the brim as usual, when I noticed fuel running down the side of my tank and the fuel going down in the filler neck. A trucker next to me said it looks like its coming from the top of the tank. He told there was a Ford dealer in North Platte so I called them and headed there. By this time the fuel had quit leaking. Bill Summer Ford, I believe, took the vehicle right in and diagnosed the leak as a bad vent assembly and the whole tank would have to be replaced. They advised me to see my hometown dealer and not to fill the tank all the away.
I was beginning to wonder if my harpoon job, which I had done about two and half months ago, could have caused it and now I have do it again after the new tank is installed.
After I arrived back in town I headed to Jerome Duncan Ford and spoke the the service advisor and explained the problem to him and what the Nebraska dealer said. He spoke to the on site diesel tech and he stated its very unlikely the vent assembly is leaking and thats its probably the o-ring leaking on the fuel assembly. This makes more sense to me considering the location of the fuel leak and the amount of fuel coming out.
As a coincidence, on my way to Jerome Duncan Ford, it was the first startup of the day, the engine was running very rough, surging, and just generally running terrible. It straighted out after a couple miles and then ran perfect. The service advisor said it could be related to the faulty o-ring. Every morning since then it is the samething.
I'am taking it to the dealer in a week and would like some input if this sounds right or do I have a sensor going bad or something else faulty.

Thanks, Mark

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
Bump

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I was hoping if they had to replace the tank, they could turn their heads for a minute so I can harpoon. But, I doubt it! Seems wierd that 6,000 miles after it was harpooned the vent assembly would be leaking. Maybe, when taking off the fuel assembly the o-ring was slightly tore or pinched. Won't know for sure until they drop the tank.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.