The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck started leaking fuel while I was helping a friend move some trash to the dump. When I got out of the truck on the second trip I could see massive amounts of liquid on the ground and the smell in the air let me know that it was diesel fuel. When I popped the hood I could see fuel down in the reservoir/middle top of the engine. It was running down the back of the engine and down to the ground. I attempted to make it home without running out of fuel and managed to do so. I have parked it until I can get a chance to take a look at what the problem might be. I thought I would get a head start and post here to find out what the problem could be and the best way to correct it. I don't think that the fuel pump is bad in any way because it pumped fuel out all over the engine and on the ground while it was running and on the way home. I will start working on it this weekend and would appreciate any information that you think could help me correct the problem...thanks!

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
There are a lot of places around the fuel bowl that can leak! If it is really leaking bad (like leaving a visible trail), look for something like a rotted out fuel filter housing, a leaking fuel restriction sensor (1-wire switch on the fuel pressure regulator block next to the schraeder valve on the driver's side on your truck). If it isn't apparent when looking at it running with the decorative engine cover removed (use a flashlight), you may need to clean the valley out the best you can (rags, brake cleaner, compressed air) and then see if you can find it. Cheers!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree with patrick feeley you need to soak up all the fuel in the valley and then clean with brake fluid to dry it up if it is bad enough you will find the leak when you start it back up and let it idle.I myself have never had a leak from the fuel filter assy. but,many people have my one and only massive fuel leak was on one of the 2 rubber fuel lines in front of filter assy. and let me tell you it was dumping fuel by the bucket fulls a little exaggerated but,you get my point.Good Luck! Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
could see fuel down in the reservoir/middle top of the engine. It was running down the back of the engine and down to the ground.
You might look at a few of the messages on this forum. "Another fuel leak", "fuel leak". There is a lot of discussion, pictures, what to look for and how to do it. Good hunting :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
i had a fuel leak in the valley , it turned out to be from the fuel pump. the pump was good but it was leaking from the gasket , which you can't buy separate (of course) , so i had to buy a new pump . something for you to look for .

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ditto what Patrick and others have just said.

Just get in there when the engine is cold with some paper towels and a long screwdriver and soak up all the fuel in the valley.

Afetr you finish that start up the engine, get a good flashlight and maybe a small mirror and start looking around for obvious leaks. Most leaks seem to come from either the filter bowl area or around the fuel pump/banjo bolt area.

Be careful of the fan when poking around a running engine!

I just finished replacing my leaky fuel pump and the job wasn't to difficult.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fuel pump or fuel bowl would be my guess. Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts