The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I started this project and I can't finish it. My truck won't start no matter where I position the lift pump on the cam lobe. Do i need to prime the fuel line or something?
I had absolutly no problems before I took the fuel pump off. I have a new starter, batteries, glow plugs, filter, just replaced rubber fuel lines in tank and outside of tank.
I know some air is in the lines from all the work I've been doing but I hold the schrader valve in when cranking and still no fire.
Any tricks to ensure the fuel pump is placed on the CAM just right? thats where I think I'm going wrong. it's so hard to see and even when I think i got it right, it still won't start.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Pull the pump back out, position the cam lobe to the top, and re-install the pump. take the line loose where it feeds into the filter, and see if the pump is working. then check to see if there is any fuel in the tank you are pulling from. Or just check the tank first and maybe save yourself all of that work.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Look for the DULL part of the cam, it needs to be down.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got it fixed, thanks guys. I got the pump installed ok, I had trouble priming the fuel system alone. hand primed it with a tube and syringe for like 2 hrs. with a couple of buddies, finally got it all primed up and starting. priming is a PITA. on to the water pump and a few other things

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The next time you prime it. Fill the filter full, then spin it on the starter. 30 seconds on, 1 minute off to let the starter cool, then 30 seconds on, so on and so forth. I have never burned a starter out using that method. works a WHOLE lot better than the syringe.

Reactions: SGT JUNK

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi guys, i've been looking for some pictures of the cam position to help me (and anyone else) and haven't found them. Would someone please confirm that one of these photos is the correct position? My understanding is that the lobe on the right should be extended downward, vs the photo that has an almost smooth surface across the cam. However, it's my first lift pump install and not 100% sure what I'm looking for.

if so maybe this photo will help others..

thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
You want the DULL side at the lowest point. The shiny part is the lobe and you want no pressure on the pump arm when installing.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Hate to say, but I can't tell by that picture.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Neither can I. The way I have always done it is: If you can't fairly easily mate the gasket surfaces, then you need to roll the engine a little until you can. Bolt it up, and you're there. I never was very good at standing on my head, just make sure that you're putting the lever under the lobe. This also worked on the old gas engines that used the same pump. The difference being that some of the levers went above the cam lobe. The way I always told the difference is by the wear mark on the old one, If it has been run any length of time it is easy to tell. You can also tell by the way the lever operates, and where the return spring is located.

·
Registered
694 Posts
got it fixed, thanks guys. I got the pump installed ok, I had trouble priming the fuel system alone. hand primed it with a tube and syringe for like 2 hrs. with a couple of buddies, finally got it all primed up and starting. priming is a PITA. on to the water pump and a few other things
Be a man and suck it! Diesel don't taste half as bad as gass!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts