The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a leak on the rear tank at the connectors. I go to take the connectors off and realize their is a hose within a hose, and the connector appears to be heat-shrinked wrapped to the inner hose and to the the metal fuel line at the frame rail.
My question is what do I do, get a whole new section of line or cut into the stuff on there. I have posted pics. any advice/experience is appreciated
thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
new pic easier to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
The outer hose is a protective "wrap". The plastic end is heat shrink formed to the inner hose and it is snap fit to the metal hose at the tank. I don't think you can get replacement fittings, you would need a whole new section of fuel line. If you can't locate any, then you could cut the end off and use hose clamps and diesel compatible hose. There isn't any pressure on the fuel line because there isn't a pump in the tank.

Reactions: SGT JUNK

·
Registered
169 Posts
I replaced all of my flexible lines and those connectors with 30r14 hose and double hose clamps at each connection

·
Registered
89 Posts
practically every auto store sells the connectors, nylon line, and adapters to go from the nylon line to regular hose or back to nylon.

its simple to do, just put the nylon line in boiling water, let it sit for a minute and then press the fittings in, repeat if you ave to.

they make a leak free connection.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info guys, I'm comfortable enough to do the job, it just caught me off guard so I wanted to double check. and make sure i didn't screw something up. the hose is in good shape but connectors are shot, I'll price it out and get it fixed with one of the methods. I love simple fixes like hose clamps and connectors, no need for fancy technological fixes on this old beast. thanks again.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The connectors are nice, but between a napa, 2 autozones, and 2 advanced autos i couldnt get enough connectors to replace all of mine. They felt loose and i dont trust the o-rings inside so hose clamps and biodiesel rated hose is what i went with. I plan on retightening all of the clamps again next week when i have it back up on the lift. Its been about 6k miles with no problems from the hose clamps. i replaced all steel lines with CuNiFer and all flex lines with 30r14 hose from napa. I also clamped the pick up tubes on the senders and the duck bill check valves when i replaced the tanks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with u. the connectors are nice but I'll just save the money and use hose. I replaced the pick up tubes as well with 30R14, I have a dump bed on the truck so its easy to get under and work on it. I'm probably gonna go the hose clamp route, I need to get back to work. thanks for the info, much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts