The Diesel Stop banner

Fuel mileage?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Dave Whitmer 
#1 ·
Was getting app. 20mpg last winter in Texas. Back in Az. now and on last fill mileage dropped to about 14mpg. Anyone have the same experience? Is this due to change over to low sulfur fuel? The mileage was checked to and from Phoenix in May on 6% grade. Texas is flat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Come on Guys you must know something! This is a stick shift F250 unloaded w/cap. Trip is from Sedona to Phoenix on HWY 17. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

#3 ·
I too have noticed a drop in mileage. I keep very meticulous records of each fill-up, mpg, cost, and location of fill-up, and over the past 6 months, my mpg has declined. Where I used to be consistent 17 to 20 mpg highway mileage, I am now consistently hitting 15 to 17. I think it is the crap in the bottom of the big fuel tanks that we are being forced to buy until the stations switch to the Ultra Low Sulfur diesel. I talked to a diesel mechanic a couple of weeks ago that has first hand knowledge of what is coming out of the diesel pumps. On a side note, I have never found out whether there is a minimum cetane level that diesel is required to have, therefore, if the cetane is too low, the diesel won't burn as good and your mileage will suffer. I've tried additives, and they don't seem to work with the crappy fuel I am buying now.
I've even seen a drop in my 40+ mpg VW Jetta TDI, down to 37 to 39, on the same road, with the same driving pattern.

#4 ·
I have seen the same thing. I normally get 15.5 to 16 mpg and on the last few fill ups I have dropped to 14.5 to 14.8 mpg. I always hand calculate my mileage.

I have a friend at work that drives a Chevy 6.5 and he has seen an even bigger drop.

I sure would like to know what is going on. You would think they would make fuel that would help us get better mileage to reduce fuel usage. Now they not only raise the fuel to 3 bucks they also lower the quality.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input. This is a BIG drop for my 4x2 truck.I'll have to keep watching it. Maybe refineries are turning out a load of crap for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

#7 ·
Well, the oil companies are turning record profits. It would be interesting to see how Bio-Diesel does in terms of power and mileage. I figure if I am going to pay $3.19 per gallon the money might as well stay in the US. Rather put the farmer's kids through college than buy weapons for the terrorists /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

#8 ·
Mine hangs in there in the low 26s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.