The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appoligize in advance if this is a dumb question, but what are all these fuel system mods commonly referred to on this site? ( in tank, pre-pump, regulator mods, etc). What are the benefits? As always, thanks in advance!

KYle

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
All fuel contains air. Once it is in the fuel system, it does not want to end up in an injector. The Ford fuel system dead-ends in the cylinder heads, so any air in there has no place to go BUT the injectors. This is the cause of any number of problems: cackle & knock, worn injector bores, burned nozzle tips.

One of the sources of air is the push-on fittings that Ford uses to connect the fuel pump to the fuel line to the fuel tank. They sometimes will leak fuel out, but in many (maybe most) trucks, they leak air inward on the suction side of the fuel pump - putting it in the system. The fuel pickup assembly has a bunch of places where air can be introduced as well.

The stock fuel system regulates the temperature and pressure of the fuel at the fuel filter bowl on the engine. It is supposed to let air out at the regulator (located higher than the feed line) and return it to the tank. On many trucks, the total leakage overwhelms the system, and it gets by the filter and goes into the cylinder heads.

There are several things in the cylinder head that can also liberate air that is dissolved in the fuel. Again, once it is in there, it will end up in an injector. The "reg mod" re-routes the fuel to flow like an earlier 444E Navistar (what this engine is), in the low end of the head, out the high end and to a regulator to control pressure and back to the tank.

To go one step further, you can get a system (Air Dog) that removes much of the dissolved air from the fuel stream before it even hits the Ford lift pump.

All of the above are available from site sponsors. Search the archives, and you can read for about a month on these topics.

Hope that helps

Pat

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
To go one step further, you can get a system (Air Dog) that removes much of the dissolved air from the fuel stream before it even hits the Ford lift pump.

[/ QUOTE ]
I second this suggestion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

·
Registered
471 Posts
PD speaks the truth..

I changed the fuel pump goesinta fitting.. things quieted down.. I run on my aux tank, bypassing factory tank & pickup, things get even quieter..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts