The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone installed a fuel pressure gauge post filter on the fuel bowl? I have a 98 E350 7.3 with frame mounted fuel pump (early 99' engine) and I'm about to install an isspro FPG and ordered a 90degree adapter (for the sending unit) so I can try to clear the glow plug relay but it appears the 90 degree adapter pointing upright will get in the way of the fuel drain lever. Should I try to use a straight adapter instead, any thoughts or solutions?

·
Premium Member
14,612 Posts
I have the straight adapter. No clearance issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response RT! Yeah it looks like the straight adapter is the easiest option and incase removal is ever necessary it appears I won't have to remove the fuel bowl. Only issue is it puts the connector real close to the air intake y pipe but it should work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have located where the dimmer wire for the fuel pressure gauge should go, the light blue and red wire from the instrument panel dimmer switch but I am wondering what would be a good location for the hot wire to go, any suggestions? Does it matter what amperage rating the circuit I tap into needs to be? The ISSPRO gauge comes with a 1 amp inline fuse and they recommend not going any higher or damage could occur to the gauge.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Luce73, ever get it finished? I thinking of doing the same. You work thru doghouse or from front?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Bork, Yeah it turned out great! I had much of the peripheral engine components off cause I was doing other things as well. I believe the alternator, stand and belt was removed and of course the air filter housing. I also did a fuel bowl rebuild so it looks like I installed the straight adapter and sending unit post filter while the bowl was off from the front then routed the wires via a plastic corrugated protector from NAPA along the wiring harness below the wipers then fed it through an existing hole near the steering shaft which came out near the gas pedal, then sent the gauge wires up the steering column to were I mounted the gauge. for the hot wire I got a fuse piggyback adapter from the parts store.

Only question I had afterwards was that my pressure post filter is steady at around 55psi and when I was testing pressure with a fuel pressure gauge I rented from the parts store pre filter it read 60-65psi which is what I thought was normal. Does anyone know what it should be post filter?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,612 Posts
It should be 60 psi with the factory spring. As your filter starts to get dirty, you'll see a greater drop with heavy acceleration, but with a clean filter mine only drops a few psi with the pedal on the floor.

I missed a question earlier about where to get voltage under the dash. DieselManor has some great write-ups for all these gauge installations.

DieselManor - Installation Sheets

Specifically - 3-Gauge Install Pictures for the power wire.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Luce73 thanks, very helpful. I cringe the thought of removing that bowl. IIRC I removed the alt also when I had to change out drain valve, which I did from front. Hope I can do it the same way for sender. 55 is close to normal , but how much drop when you stand on pedal, under load?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts