The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 gauge Pod set up on the A-pillar and want to add a fpg. I'm not sure where I'll mount it, but my first problem is not knowing where to connect it/patch into the existing system. Can/will someone offer advice on connecting a Fuel a Pressure Gauge?

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dj, I followed your link and saw the fpg, but could not see your connection to the fuel bowl. Is there a port available on the bowl? Or must you 'T' in a connection?

·
Registered
230 Posts
dj, I followed your link and saw the fpg, but could not see your connection to the fuel bowl. Is there a port available on the bowl? Or must you 'T' in a connection?
There is no t connection. I just removed the plug and replaced it with a 90 deg npt to barb adapter. I forget the sizes at the moment but "ert01" had it detailed in his maintenance thread.

I attached a pic of the rear of the fuel bowl for your reference about the "fuel outlet" port I am referencing

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, dj; I didn't know there was an existing place on the fuel bowl to attach a fpg. I'll take a look at details of the bowl and search ert's posts.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I almost forgot; how do the plugs come out? Unscrew??

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Answered my own question; thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bb, did you drill holes in the panel for wires? If not, where are they? You did a good job.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Hi Clev,
I used this fuel bowl pressure port adapter from dieselOrings.com. I put mine post filter which is towards lower passenger side of bowl. That allows me to see true fuel pressure of fuel after it has run through filter. He also sells a 90 degree adapter, but IMO, the straight fitting is easiest to install from doghouse. Here it is:

1/8" NPT straight pressure port adapter.

Then you can either thread an electronic fuel gauge sending unit into the adapter or get a diesel rated Schraeder valve from same vendor so you could hook up mechanic's fuel gauge if you had problems. Another gauge mounting location I've seen is a simple hole drilled right near power port on dash (no pod required).

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good morning, stock. Thanks for the info. What brand of fpg do you use?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
What tool fits in the plug for removal? Is it a metric allen wrench?

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good morning, Bork. It's definitely an Allen but I don't know the size yet.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Good morning, stock. Thanks for the info. What brand of fpg do you use?
I just got an Autometer Z-Series FP gauge, expensive but one of the 3 most important gauges. Mine is not completely installed yet but I've been working a-lot lately to pay for this addiction!

Good morning, Bork. It's definitely an Allen but I don't know the size yet.
Fuel bowl plugs are 3/16" hex Allen wrench. The adapter comes with Viton o-ring. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, stock. My 3-pillar gauges are AutoMeter C2, and yes, expensive. I believe the FPG is ~$225.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stock/db, or any other that knows; when the plug is removed from the fuel bowl, what size threads are there? I saw stock's link for the 1/8 adaptor, but I'm not sure what that means. Are the FB threads 1/8 or is the output of the adapter 1/8? I ordered an autometer fpg and it comes with {1/8 NPT threads}. Will that screw directly into the FB? My FPG will be here on Friday and I'd like to have whatever is needed for the installation.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Stock/db, or any other that knows; when the plug is removed from the fuel bowl, what size threads are there? I saw stock's link for the 1/8 adaptor, but I'm not sure what that means. Are the FB threads 1/8 or is the output of the adapter 1/8? I ordered an autometer fpg and it comes with {1/8 NPT threads}. Will that screw directly into the FB? My FPG will be here on Friday and I'd like to have whatever is needed for the installation.
Get the adapter I put the link to. Then your gauge fitting will thread right into it. I don't know what other adapters might come with your gauge, but the adapter from dieselOrings is correct thread and comes with a Viton o-ring. I would get the straight adapter so install is easy in either port, but he also sells a 90*.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good morning, stock, and thank you for the info/advice.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Can I get some information on fuel pressure? I'm hooking up my fpg tomorrow or Saturday, and will connect to the side of the Fuel Bowl which has a fixed fuel pressure. I know that my van needs 65 psi, so does the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel bowl fix the pressure at that psi? After I hook up the fpg, and it reads 55 psi (for example), or if it reads 75 psi, what do I do when there is no adjustment? What is the minimum and maximum that is acceptable? If it does only produce 55 psi, will an after market fuel pressure regulator allow me to dial it higher, or with only 55 psi being produced by the pump, is that the most it will ever be? Thanks for any information.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Can I get some information on fuel pressure? I'm hooking up my fpg tomorrow or Saturday, and will connect to the side of the Fuel Bowl which has a fixed fuel pressure. I know that my van needs 65 psi, so does the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel bowl fix the pressure at that psi? After I hook up the fpg, and it reads 55 psi (for example), or if it reads 75 psi, what do I do when there is no adjustment? What is the minimum and maximum that is acceptable? If it does only produce 55 psi, will an after market fuel pressure regulator allow me to dial it higher, or with only 55 psi being produced by the pump, is that the most it will ever be? Thanks for any information.
Your fuel pressure is controlled by a spring. If you go on the 99-03 7.3 engine or aftermarket forums, there is all kinds of info on fuel pressure. Click on the search this forum button, and enter fuel pressure for a day's worth of reading. You can simply insert a BB behind your spring to increase FP, or you can get different springs from D O-rings. The factory fuel pressure spring housing is fairly crappy metal and likely to get stripped. That is why D O-rings also sells an improved billet housing. That's what I had at first, but then replaced it with Frx from RR to have return lines.
Either way, most have found that going with the gold spring puts our engines in the sweet spot (63-67 psi). Either of the billet housings will not get stripped threads.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts