The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put all the question marks because I couldn't remember the proper term for what I am about to ask about. I am wondering if there is a way to (bypass) the fuel shut off (trip fuse) (inertia trip) or whatever the proper term is for the device that shuts down the fuel pump when you are involved in an accident of some certain amount of (G-Force) that "trips" it.??? I have always been concerned that I might run into something in the woods or back country trails & cause this thing to shut down. My understanding is that it is located somewhere around the passenger side kick panel and is (easy) to "reset" by pushing on some little red button???? But because I have not ever seen it's location I have that feeling that it's not going to be easy to find or where I expect it to be. Can anyone confirm or deny it's location or ease of access in this area???? Will it jump out at me if I pull off the passenger side kick panel?
I really don't want to bypass it...Just want to know where it is & if it's easy to get at or find. ... DDT

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I know many gasoline powered vehicles have that switch but I've never heard of a diesel having that. Maybe it's because gasoline is so much more combustible???

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That very well may be the case. I could be thinking of my old Chevy Van. I did not ask this because I saw it written in the owners manual of my Diesel so I might very well be thinking of the old gasser. Thanks for the information bbasso. DDT

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I have a 2000 F250 with 7.3 diesel and it DOES have the fuel-shut off Inertia Device reset.

It is accessed by a hole molded into the passenger area plastic sidewall.

I don't know if they were found on newer model years or E-series vans.

This is a very simple device to re-set and I would hope that someone would not attempt to bypass this safety feature.

Cheers

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
E-Series Fuel Reset Switch

Located behind the passenger side kick plate, top right, forward.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O.K. Thanks for the photos & information. Guess I need to get in there and find it's location so I don't have to fumble around trying to find it when I need to.
I think I mentioned in my post that I really wasn't going to bypass it. Just wanted to know where it was, If it was & how easy to find. Once I get an eyeball on it I will be more confident in how to go about checking it if I ever run into something and find I can't get er' started back up again. I've heard of a few people that didn't know that such a thing existed just running their batteries dead & or cooking their starters. There's plenty of fuse's, relays & trip devices like this in these rigs that one needs to get familiar with if they want to stay off the tow trucks, out of the shops & not stranded for hours waiting for someone "that knows" where & what to look for.
My problem with it's location is that I got a big plastic drawer thing sitting there where the passenger seat was and it blocks (easy) access and it's pretty darned heavy & loaded with crap so it don't move easily. Heavy is my burden in life...LOL DDT

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
XRACER thank you! I must look also, good to know. So you stick your finger in the cutout behind wires? something like this?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yuuuup

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Interesting!

Thanks for educating us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts