The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,
Okay so after running down my air intrusion issue, I am at the last step. replacing the fuel senders in both tanks. I do have the issue of the engine running out of fuel at 1/4 tank, so I do know that there are issues with the senders already. By what I have read in here, it would appear that I am getting air from one or both of the intake lines. I would like to drop the tanks and work on the issue but I first have a few questions to ask so I will be a bit more prepared for the procedure.
Q1. I believe my tank is a 22 gallon tank. Are there larger tanks that will fit in the rear?
Q2. I have looked all over the internet at sending units. Some are insanely expensive and some are rather cheap but don't come with all the parts needed. For the folks who have done this type of work on your own ride, where is a good place to purchase the senders?
Q3.There is a white plastic looking piece connected to the senders I believe it was called the fuel return filter. A lot of people have just discarded this part as well as the intake foot. are removing these items the way to go, or should I leave everything in place?
Q4.Whenever I fill my tanks, the diesel fuel foams up the filler tube and shuts off the pump, then I have to stand there and put in a little fuel at a time with both tanks....it takes a very long time to fill both tanks, is there a mod that fixes this ?...seems like a pressure or vacuum breaker issue not sure. Does anyone else have this issue?
Q5.What kind or type of rubber fuel line should I purchase, what does everyone else use and have good results with?
Q6. During the sender replacement, I would also like to install an in-line fuel filter under the van somewhere close to the fuel tank, most likely on the frame rail. I would like to use a screw in canister type of fuel filter. What kind or model have any of you had good luck with?
I am asking these questions so I will have a bit more info before I replace the sending units in the next 2 weeks.

Thank you
Vince.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The senders are strictly for the gauge; they have nothing to do with fuel feed. If your senders are working (gague works properly on both tanks), you should keep them, as they're the expensive part. If you're having trouble with fuel feed, it's the pickup lines you need to look into. You may just need to replace the pickup strainers (aka "showerheads"). You can't just discard it; you'd have to replace it with an extension, exactly long enough to reach the bottom of the tank, and diagonal-cut to avoid it "kissing" the bottom of the tank. You'd have to find fuel line that's rated to be submersed in fuel; a lot of line is rated for fuel only on the inside, not the outside.

The fill issue is separate. The filler neck acts as both the fill and the vent; there's an internal hose that runs inside the neck, and the space between the internal hose and external neck acts as the vent. And it's notorious for creating a slow fill, as you've experienced. The fix is to remove the internal hose, so the full diameter of the neck is used as the fill. Then you weld a fitting onto the neck just inside the bed side (well, the quarter panel in your case), and run a vent line from that fitting to the vent plug on top of the tank. Search the various Ford Diesel / PSD sites on "fast fill mod"; you'll find much more detailed info.

Can't help you on the tank size or availability of a larger tank, as the vans are a different animal. We do have a van-specific section, where you may find more info specific to your van.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
For the folks who have done this type of work on your own ride...
Click this & read the captions:

I'm not sure how much of that applies to diesels since they're typically a few years behind gassers, and yours is close to the changeover for that style of sender.
...where is a good place to purchase the senders?
Ford, Amazon, eBay, RockAuto, FordPartsGiant, TeamFordParts, or a local parts store that deals in MotorCraft parts.
...should I leave everything in place?
If you're not an engineer, don't try to re-engineer it. Ford built it that way for a reason.
...is there a mod that fixes this ?
Yeah - buy a gasser. >:)
seems like a pressure or vacuum breaker issue not sure.
It's a diesel issue, caused by the splash as it dumps from the filler neck into the tank.
What kind or type of rubber fuel line should I purchase, what does everyone else use and have good results with?
Gates, or some other made-in-USA hose specifically labelled (ON THE HOSE) for fuel. Don't buy EFI hose.
...I would also like to install an in-line fuel filter under the van somewhere close to the fuel tank, most likely on the frame rail.
I recommend putting it somewhere easier to access for maintenance.
I would like to use a screw in canister type of fuel filter.
I highly recommend a clear plastic disposable; they're cheaper, and easier-to-find in parts stores everywhere, especially if you find one that's a direct-replacement in some common vehicle.

***EDIT***
Someone on another BBS posted a link to an eBay seller that's clearing out a Ford dealership: NOS parts, nearly-new parts, manuals, EVTMs, Rotunda tools... Some of them are applicable to diesels & vans, like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160978252547

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply's Steve. Helpful information.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea Steve I am looking at most likely getting a small gasser car for going back and forth to work, and to just get around town. The van is so huge parking in most car lots is a nightmare, plus it's too tall for most all parking structures. I drove it to work today, started right up this morning now we have our first "el-nin-yo" rain day so I hope it starts when its time to go home. I switched over to the full fuel tank this morning so hopefully that helps when starting.

Vince.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Love to see some pics of your E350.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I used 3/8" 30r14 bio diesel rated fuel line from napa (one is 5/16 the other 3/8 I used 3/8 for both and double clamped everything) was less than $2 a foot I think. It's lined/barricade inside not rated for submersion, I used it in my sender as a pick up anyway. I replaced all steel lines with 3/8" CuNiFer line.

I use racor disposables on my generator, and bobcat as they are great filters and you can clearly see water, easily empty them, and easily gravity prime them.

RACOR SNAPP 23106-02 FUEL FILTER WATER SEPARATOR 2 MICRON https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGUH0N2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_VoWKwbQ8VE6J5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts