The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad's 2012 F250 CC 4x4 6.7 is making a funny noise after shut down. He had it in the shop when it was still under warranty and the changed out a hose that is associated with a solenoid that stays on after shut down. He said that quieted it down at the time somewhat, but now it has started making another noise. He says he can hear the noise from the solenoid but now after a few seconds it makes a burping noise. Is this anything for him to be alarmed about?

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I tend to hear something cycling, maybe a buzz as well. Truck starts and runs, drives like it always has. No issue here. I try not to let every little noise get to me. The burping may be the coolant cooling down and moving thru the system.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I heard that noise clearly,on my 2015...my 16,i have not heard it at all...i understand,it was a pump purging the def line.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
My dad's 2012 F250 CC 4x4 6.7 is making a funny noise after shut down. He had it in the shop when it was still under warranty and the changed out a hose that is associated with a solenoid that stays on after shut down. He said that quieted it down at the time somewhat, but now it has started making another noise. He says he can hear the noise from the solenoid but now after a few seconds it makes a burping noise. Is this anything for him to be alarmed about?
Hi jposes,

Since your Dad is concerned, it might be a good idea to have him swing by the dealership so they can listen to the noise. What's the current mileage on his truck?

Crystal

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Remember the DEF only has a heater in the tank. The lines can freeze when the temps go below 13°F. So our trucks drain the DEF lines after shut down to remove the DEF from the lines to prevent freezing in the line. If it freezes in the tank, No big deal, it has a heater that will melt the frozen DEF.

This is why it is important not to Overfill your tank. If you get DEF in the Fill Tube, It can freeze and crack the tube. Double import not to fill your DEF with the truck running, since you may stop and not overfill, but the pump draining the lines may add those few extra ounces that over fill tank.

Warmer months I keep the tank topped off. In freezing weather, I lean toward just staying around half full.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thank you painted horse. I guess I never thought about overfilling or keeping it topped off in the winter. Just filled mine about 500 miles ago and it will probably be getting close to half during the winter. I think I will just wait until I get the 500 miles to add in the winter and I'll top it off come spring before we take long trips. I just use the jugs because it is easy for me. No pumps anywhere near.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts