The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck started making a quiet pop sound and then cut out both as I was driving and idling. Came on suddenly and eventually got to the point sometimes that it wouldn't start. Shop pulled codes, bad IDM. Replaced but still had intermittent stalls. If it died while driving, it would start right back up....very strange. Finally it blew a couple fuses and then the PCM diode. This led the mechanic to take a look at the fuse panel. The attached photo is what was found. New panel and truck seems 100%, runs great. No codes. My question is, what caused this ? How do I know if it will or could happen again? I attached a photo of the board. 2002 Excursion 7.3

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,424 Posts
I would venture to say that there was an overload somewhere. I expected to see corrosion on your picture, but there was basically none of that. I would track down which circuit that was and investigate everything connected to it to make sure there isn't a short.

That trace could be repaired by soldering in a jumper wire. But finding the cause of the overload would be good to do even if you don't plan on reinstalling the old fuse panel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am really concerned that this will happen again sometime down the road if I don't locate what happened. As far as corrosion, they saw on evidence of water damage anywhere and the whole panel is clean except where the damage is. There is the circuit in the photo and another that has less damage.

The shop replaced the fuse box with a new one already, I have the old one. I have found schematics that show fuse identifications but nothing that shows the PC Board, and ideas?

The IDM was bad, could that have created an overload?

One weird thing, I have an aftermarket stereo and amp for years and since install, when I start the truck it whines until I turn volume up super high, then stops. Shop thought it was the amp heading combination. Funny thing is that with this new fuse panel the whine has stopped occuring.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Super Moderator
25,424 Posts
I would suspect the aftermarket stuff before the IDM. If the extra loads are connected downstream of that burnt fuse box trace, that might have done it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts