The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been itching to get a F250 CC 4x4 for a long time and then recently a friend to my surprise bought the same config with a diesel engine.
I drove his diesel truck on Tuesday and yesterday went to a dealer and drove a gas truck, and I just have to say it is very impressive how much effortless get up and go the diesel has!
Still, I keep telling myself that I do not need the diesel, because likely I will not be towing anything, nor do I want to pay the initial premium or the additional maintenance costs, so good to read on here that people are happy with their gas engine choice.
Attached a crude gas v.s. diesel overlay I made from a 2015 brochure image I was able to dig up.

Attachments

· Registered
41 Posts
Even though the gasser has half the torque it's still quite an effortless puller. I've never driven the 6.2L put the reviews seem to praise it's pulling power. If your only going to use the bed, then the gas engine is a smart move. It's mainly when you're towing heavy loads when that fuel economy is going to bite you.

· Registered
266 Posts
I was basically in the same boat. I haul heavy quite frequently, but never tow more than 10K, and not that often. Plus my daily commute is only 15 miles round trip... I really don't "need" a diesel pickup

I test drove a diesel F250, and fell in love .. it was awesome. I really, really wanted it! In my testosterone-clouded mind, I was all set to pull the trigger on a $60K diesel truck.

My wife, who was perfectly fine with me getting a brand new Superduty, quickly saw through to my hormonal affliction. I have a diesel generator, & diesel Kubota tractor. She really doesn't like diesel exhaust, and I catch he** if I get fuel on my clothes or shoes and come into the house. She said, "If I bought a diesel truck, I would also have to sleep in it!" And it snapped me back to reality! (Diesel truck or celibacy?) :no:

I bought the 6.2L and have had no regrets. It does everything that I ask of it with aplomb. Except for maybe a testosterone related one.... there's a lifted diesel Superduty owner nearby, who I think he kind of smirks at my truck when we're both waiting at a traffic light. However, my wife is so much better looking than his! :icon_wink:

· Registered
532 Posts
Lmao I love wut the fella above said. Ya my woman thinks I got a little carried away with my buy. Truth be told my truck is in the shop, if it where a gas motor I would've been able to fix the problems myself... but I'm new to diesels. There's plenty of people out there smarter then me on that one. I do have a feeling I will be selling this truck after hay season and buying a gas rig. I have 405,000 on my daily rig. So idk, when I hear folks talk about the motor life of a diesel. I look at the parts that have been replaced. On that account you could almost buy a new gas crate engine for the price of keeping a diesel going.... my opinion.

· Registered
46 Posts
I've had four Fords...I just ordered my 5th. Which is an F350 4x4 CC 6.2. My 88 460...I put her out to pasture with 350k...1997 F350 460 4x4 @ 275k....I went diesel in 2004.F250 4x4 6.0...was a lemon for 2 years.... traded it in on a 2006 F350 6.0 4x4 ....she broke everything but once repaired she was a CHAMP!!... well she starting breaking big items again after 200k.....(237k, Truck is in GREAT SHAPE).I was told and sold on diesel trucks built to last for 300-500k....well mine did not.....I'm going back to less power and torque....... I'm sure gonna miss that DIESEL TORQUE!!!!!!!!! Not gonna miss those check engine lights and repairs tho.....IMO if you can keep it under a 100k for 8-9 years of use....than go for it.....keep your fluids changed regularly. ..change your coolant at 30k.... (F Ford...that's what a Ford diesel tech told me off the record).... way home the regon VERY CAREFULLY! !!!! .......these trucks are my daily driver and I average 30-35k annually

· Registered
266 Posts
A 6.7 is more powerful but....
6.2 Radiators don't leak.
No fuel additive to make up for cetane levels.
No antigell needed.
No idling problems.
No heat problems.
No def. to buy.
No def system to worry about.
No regens.
No exhaust sensor/shut down while towing scenarios.
No fuel filters.
No fuel filters waxed up.
No $10,000 fuel pump nightmares.
No $100.00+ oil-changes.
No coolant testing.
No draining water from fuel.
No turbo issues.
No need to delete anything.
Lower fuel prices.
More options locating good fuel.
35 gallon fuel tank on short beds.
Less $$$$$ up front.
ETC. ETC.

· Registered
412 Posts
A 6.7 is more powerful but....
6.2 Radiators don't leak.
No fuel additive to make up for cetane levels.
No antigell needed.
No idling problems.
No heat problems.
No def. to buy.
No def system to worry about.
No regens.
No exhaust sensor/shut down while towing scenarios.
No fuel filters.
No fuel filters waxed up.
No $10,000 fuel pump nightmares.
No $100.00+ oil-changes.
No coolant testing.
No draining water from fuel.
No turbo issues.
No need to delete anything.
Lower fuel prices.
More options locating good fuel.
35 gallon fuel tank on short beds.
Less $$$$$ up front.
ETC. ETC.

However the only real items on your list that do concern me are the EGT Sensors, DEF system and possible radiator leak. All of which can either be a real PITA and or expensive if out of warranty.

As for required maintenance of fuel filters, checking for water in fuel, checking coolant only make me more in tune with keeping the truck at it's best operating level.

Finding a quality location to purchase fuel is an even wash between the two. You can get water in gas just as you can in diesel. With diesel you try to make sure you fill your tanks where many other diesel owners do or the big rigs do. Plus if I pull into a truck stop to fill up with diesel I know that there will be no height clearance issues when pulling our 5th wheel trailer.

Oil changes on the 6.7 do run 4X the cost of a 6.2 and our fuel filters are not inexpensive either. Then add in the cost of DEF for the emissions our cost goes even higher. In the end my calculations when I compare the MPG between the two give the better MPG of the Diesel 6.7 is that it cost me 2 pennies more per gallon to drive a diesel over the gasser.

That being said, give a gasser that has 800TQ and 400HP and I'm all in. Truth be told, I'm impressed with the 6.2 and the only thing I hate about it is the fact that I can't decide whether or not to sell the 6.7 to go to the 6.2.

Each has there place in the market. And like the 6.8 V-10 before it, I think that the 6.2 V-8 is greatly under appreciated.

· Registered
953 Posts
I have went through this same debate over and over, and fully understand why many say the gas is the better option.. For most the people on this site, a modern gasser will do the job just fine, and is reliable/long lasting.. Had ford or gm offered a big block engine in the conventional pickups in 11', i would have likely gone that way, and i was a happy 11' 6.7 owner.. Now i'am a happy 15' 6.7 owner.. Again Ford nor Gm offered a suitable gasser for heavy towing, so i had no choice..

· Registered
46 Posts
I would take the 6.7 diesel ALL DAY LONG over the 6.2 gasser....
if it was built like the 7.3....

my just turned 550k on his 02 7.3 F350

I'm gonna miss that Torque...:twak:

but I need a reliable Truck for 250K miles or more....

IMO Todays diesel's are not built for longevity any more...

· Registered
266 Posts
I would take the 6.7 diesel ALL DAY LONG over the 6.2 gasser....
if it was built like the 7.3....

my just turned 550k on his 02 7.3 F350

I'm gonna miss that Torque...:twak:

but I need a reliable Truck for 250K miles or more....

IMO Todays diesel's are not built for longevity any more...
I sadly agree.
I had to "settle" when I bought the 6.2.
Great, smooooth power-train, great handling, but not comparable to the diesel's low end grunt! After my 6.0 I just can't go back to that "oh so powerful" but oh so expensive if it breaks BS.

· Registered
723 Posts
You can put turbos and blowers on the 6.2 for less money than the upcharge for the 6.7. Do not expect to pull 20,000 with it, but for lite towing(under 12,000) and blazing stop light to stop light runs it would be something to think about.
I drove a rented '15 CC 6.2 when my '06 6.0 was stolen and after getting used to the high rpm shifting I enjoyed it.
However, my 5th wheel my wife and I live in while working weighs 16,000. There are no gas rigs rated for that. The '91 diesel I am pulling it with now has the same torque rating as the 6.2(lower rpm of course) but only rated at 185hp. A little slow up the hills but 60 otherwise.

· Registered
266 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
I test drove a 6.2 with 3.73 gears and was impressed, had to order one because I wanted 4.30 gears, the salesman asked why I didn't buy a diesel, told him it would take around 3.5 years to break even on cost. After having the truck for a week, this thing will scoot with the 4.30 gears and will do anything I need, I don't tow over 10,000 lbs and I still have my 2000 7.3 if I really need to work something. I think ford has a winner with the 6.2 but it would not hurt my feelings if they would come out with a little bit bigger v8 and get around 450hp/475tq.

· Registered
762 Posts
This Saturday, my son and I took a 6.2L for a comparison drive. The 6.2L is no slouch. At worst, it's hard to get used to the Mustang sound when you hold it to the wood, but it doesn't sit there. Stats I experienced are here:

6.2L 3.73rear: 0-60, 9.73 Seconds.
6.7L 3.55rear: 0-60, 9.82 Seconds
6.7L 3.55rear: Spooled 0-60, 9.64 Seconds

The 6.2L may not pull like a diesel, and may lose ground to the diesel when loaded, but stock to stock, I was impressed with the 6.2L. I expected my diesel to walk away by 2 seconds easy, but in no way was the diesel any quicker. Even spooled up, the difference to the 6.2L was negligible. For a daily driver and towing 10k 12x a year, the gasser is my next bet.

· Registered
33 Posts
I've ordered my 3rd 6.2 f250 S.C. 4x4 4.30 SRW with factory goose. After having a 97, 7.3 dually and a 06 6.0 f350 SRW I was leery about going to gas . But the 6.2 combination has worked out well for me . I tow up to 15,000# only a dozen or more times a year sometimes up to 400 mi. , the truck handles the loads well and I've had 0 problems. Only if I had to tow these loads or more at 70mph ever day would I look into a diesel again.

· Registered
953 Posts
Glad your happy with the gasser.. With the issues all the makers are having with the newer diesels, unless you just need the power the diesels offer, a gasser is certainly the way to go.. That being said, i had zero issues with my 11' 6.7 ford, and i hope the 15' turns out the same..

· Registered
46 Posts
I'm extremely disappointed in myself for not researching further.... I just found out that I could have ordered the 6.9 V10 in my 2015....
oh well....

my 6.2 arrived... I LOVE FORD truck Builds...very solid.... the 6.2 has some Pep..... but cannot even compare to my 2006 Diesel POWER!!!...

I have not hooked up for a tow yet.... I'll let ya know how it handles....

my MPG are 11.6 average.....(freeway and town)

I'm leaving tomorrow for a 300 mile freeway journey....I'll let ya know what I get...

· Registered
266 Posts
What truck have you bought?
F-550?

· Registered
53 Posts
Well i made the mistake yesterday of driving a 15 6.7........needless to say when I got back in my 6.2 I was really disappointed.....I will be buying a 6.7 today. I kept telling myself the 6.2 has "good power" and the maintenance is so much cheaper.

I hooked to my toy hauler a couple days ago and headed to the mountains from a dead stop at high elevation I was to the point I needed 4 low to get moving. Anyway I hope this helps some of the guys on the fence between diesel and gas. Gas is cheaper to run but power is what gets me moving.....and it takes money to have power.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.