The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post. Please be kind.

Newer to me 96 OBS. I would prefer to keep it stock ‘looking’ and as such would prefer no gauges. But I do appreciate the need for them if required.

Truck will not be towing. Looking at simple chip, CAI and turbo back straight pipe. Anybody with this set up and gauges ever see EGT problems? My thinking is that if I am Unlikely to exceed the EGT or boost I really don’t need to monitor them and I can get away without the gauges.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
14,489 Posts
If you aren’t towing, you should be fine. I tow 10-15k regularly and have never had an EGT problem. I’m sure that would be different if we had any mountains around here, but unloaded even that wouldn’t be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,596 Posts
It is all going to be where you drive. With a load in my bed I can quickly get up to the caution area of my pyro when heading up a hill.

Anytime that you add a chip and more HP to the equation you really need to do the supporting mods and at least a exhaust gauge is one of them along with a transmission temperature gauge if you have a automatic. It might surprise you at how quick temperatures start to rise when driving up a good hill. But then I live in Colorado and everything is up, even when you are going down it is still uphill.

·
Super Moderator
6,332 Posts
CLICK HERE to go to a review I did some time ago for the Edge Evolution CTS programmer. I am still using it in another vehicle for the gauge function, has been a great tool for me. Would get you a bit of a boost plus any and all the gauges you would ever need in one small package. If you read through the test it will give you some information on how quickly these trucks can get into high temp situations at times.

Dave / Believer45

1 - 4 of 4 Posts