The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
P060411002.jpg 99 f350 7.3 4x4 auto

I have replaced new hubs, new u joints ( front axles), outer axle from dana, seals, transfer case, rebuilt rear drive shaft. checked and changed differential fluid. I have a noise when driving only if I turn the wheel slight left or full left, any left sounds like transfer case is trying to engage or axles maybe. it does it in neutral also I get up to speed put in neutral and turn a little or alot any ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
You say new hubs, is there new needle roller bearings in there too?

have you a loose mud flap on the LH side?

At what speed does the noise appear?

Reactions: thegreenmachine

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes new needles, at 5mph on up. ive ben researching this for days working on truck for a week. the only post ive read that I haven't tried was an exhaust pipe was loose rubbing on firewall and frame I checked mine is loose ill adress that tomorrow but the noise I'm hearing is gears got to be. almost like transfer case engaging or axles. if you have any ideas out of the normal regular its your hubs please feel free.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I jacked truck up no noise at all any suggestions, that's good right ive read so many posts and working on this truck so long I cant remember if no noise while jacked up in 4wd is good or bad. I stopped all tires individually I ran in 2 wheel drive. I did find a tie rod that could be replaced but that's not the problem tie rod clunk. this is no clunk I'm leaning twards gearbox maybe. I have a theory about the ball bearings in the gearbox chattering. no leaks on gear box but there is a vertical play in it maybe 1/4 inch vertical is that normal.

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
I have a theory about the ball bearings in the gearbox chattering. no leaks on gear box but there is a vertical play in it maybe 1/4 inch vertical is that normal.
If you're talking about output flanges on the transfer case, then vertical play is NOT normal. There should be essentially no radial play in either output flange. If you have 1/4 inch vertical play, then the oil is gone, as the seals are definitely leaking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry KLHANSEN, I ment the steering gear box. well all the repairs listed above started 09/05/2015. it started with ac then brakes then transfer then hubs now to the noise I went out yesterday I found fuel in my coolant so today going to get pressure checker make sure its just injector cups not head any suggestions on where to buy parts riffraff is very expensive but most of the parts I need will be ford. there tool alone is 379.oo I did find 2 places on ebay a lot cheaper but not ford parts tool is 189.00 DCP is the name then there is this guy on ebay angelofishes he sells an injectorcup set mid priced and they are ford parts. so I will get a video out on the noise but for now boys injector cups here I come.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one more thing just before I found the fuel in coolant I had my obd2 reader hooked up running diag I had a transmission range sensor code so I pulled up live readings and as I shiftr threw the gears auto trans manualy I would get no voltage out of sensor in park which is good. then when reverse was 1.63 volts neutral was 1.63 drive and overdrive was 1.63 volts 2nd voltage went to 0 and 1st gear was also at zero can anyone tell me if those are the readings I should get. something tells me I should get voltage in all gears. also if you have the info can you pass it along. I'm just learning how to use that reader for other than codes. I'm using smart phone and car gauge pro app. I bought that one because you can do injector buzz test.

·
Registered
628 Posts
In my experience riffraff is actually very reasonable on prices especially when you factor in the service and quality that comes with them! Clay is awesome and will help you out to make sure you get everything you need in one order as long as you tell him in the comment what you are doing and keep you phone on you for when he calls back!
Remember, you get what you pay for and getting this deep into your truck it royal sucks if you have to redo something. ..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my experience riffraff is actually very reasonable on prices especially when you factor in the service and quality that comes with them! Clay is awesome and will help you out to make sure you get everything you need in one order as long as you tell him in the comment what you are doing and keep you phone on you for when he calls back!
Remember, you get what you pay for and getting this deep into your truck it royal sucks if you have to redo something. ..
I hear ya gator I have used riff raff products before FRX high flow banjos and all that. great products but I believe my last order from them came to just under 1000.00 bucks and I didn't even get a Tshirt I got stickers tho. does anyone have ford injector cup kit numbers for ford ibet its all individual parts right. I need ford part numbers so I can search. FB_IMG_1445867684736.jpg ok I figured something out here is a snapshot of the live readings from the transmission range sensor take not of the voltage .001 as explained in above post

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Don't know what tools your going to get, but here is what I bought. The whole master kit. Take your pick.

Rosewood Diesel Shop

·
Registered
628 Posts
Using the hammer in tool you have to be very careful to make sure the cup is lined up on install. (Although not really all the tricky...) rosewood has a new design tool that eliminates that issue and I believe that riffraff will "rent" you that tool for about $70 (once returned in good condition of course.)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't recall you posting and other issues starting / smoking /loss of power that could be injector related but if you have noticed anything now would be a good time to get your injectors flow tested.
If not any other issues you at least need to replace the orings and crush washers.

What kind of coolant have you been running? Injector cup failure is most often related to wrong coolant. Make sure to flush your system and go back with the right stuff! (Rotella ELC or similar.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm trying to put photos on this forum anyone know how to do that. it keeps asking me for URL, cant I just upload it from my pc. I need to know how so when I get injector cup done I can post video of noise

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Yes if you look to the top of the tool bar you'll see a paper clip thing click on that and follow the procedure.
Hope this helps you.:smile2:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes I'm waiting on a call in the am from a guy local parts guy. if his prices are not reasonable then rosewood here I come ben on there website for a while then riffraff then diesel o rings also ebay. i see a difference on sleeve install tool some have an o ring some don't i imagine the oring holds the cup in place while you beat on it with 10lb sledge. I appreciate all the advice tho man it really helps out ive ben on the fence about injectors do i replace while I'm in there or wait. all these break downs to my truck i haven't worked since September 5th I'm self employed so i need to get on the road. but wanna make sure truck solid before i go. i wonder what it costs to flow test injectors, and where do i take them. after this i still have to figure out noise. hopefully i can get video of noise tomorrow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
20140923_132141.jpg

20141125_100657.jpg

P021111002.jpg
Googs;3930586 said:
Yes if you look to the top of the tool bar you'll see a paper clip thing click on that and follow the procedure.
Hope this helps you.:smile2:
I think i figured out the photo upload thanks here are some pictures of what i do for a living my truck gets used a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Glad you figured out the photo thing.
Now you'll have to figure out the video for the front end noise.

Nice trucks , bet they keep you busy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad you figured out the photo thing.
Now you'll have to figure out the video for the front end noise.

Nice trucks , bet they keep you busy.
yes they do that's why I'm broke down now no time to do preventative maintenance. now it wont let me upload another photo not sure why. P030111005.jpg .

ok I got it this is why my truck is a little beat up being drug behind trucks like this is rough. with 3 stacked and mine attached with towbar I'm 96 feet lonf only allowed to be 97 no backing up makes ya think ahead all the time.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Been there done that! Used to run piggy backs out of Laredo, Tx!
Call full force and ask about flow testing.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Have you removed the front drive shaft and tested?

Loose disc brake shield rattling ?

Is there any vibration transferred through the steering wheel?
Check front stabilizer bar mounts.
Does the noise happen in all temperatures?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts