The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
The DPF-R by GearboxZ works as advertised. It turns off the Regen and EGR function and nothing else. They do have a + tune which is supposed to add some fuel mileage too. No experience with that however.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'm looking at this also... I don't think it can be updated so make sure you get the absolutely latest version. I found one (new from vender) on ebay, like $700 but includes programmer and stainless delete pipe (cat and dpf). It also looks like it needs the sensors in the exhaust so you may consider getting new sensors as from what i have read, the old ones are hard to remove w/o destroying them. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed the delete pipe and tuner last week. Note to self: don't believe the videos on you tube. Have a gasket and EGT probe on hand. Otherwise, the underside stuff went well, even with the northeast rust on some of the hardware. This is my first experience with anything like this so I was fairly nervous doing anything that screws with the computer. The Gearboxz programmer talks you through the entire process and keeps you informed as to where it's at such as: Upload 25% complete, upload 50% complete, etc... Set it on power level 3 which is 70 HP over stock. Pulled the 5ver (15.5K) this weekend and there was a noticeable difference in power. This is the first time since the B23 flash that I've seen the boost pegged. Short pulls,(about two hrs each way), getting 8.7 MPG hand calculated. No complaints here since my one and only objective was NO MORE REGENS! Overall quite content with the venture.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Thanks for your update.

You may consider going back to stock power when towing. That seems to be the general consensus. I also ordered the complete delete pipe (aFE) and i went with the DPF-R TACHYON PLUS tuner. Mostly because it had an under stock power setting. I suspect this option is there for spot inspections and probably does not produce any smoke. I also ended up getting three new egt sensors (all ford) off ebay. When they go bad they cause so many problems so i went with new rather then reusing the old ones. I am glad it worked out for you. I can't find more then two or three people who have had issues with the DPF-R hardware but 10x as many that have done well with it. Plan to run it also at the third power setting (their economy tune 70hp). Don't really need the power but imho in stock tune the truck doesn't have much low end grunt and i have found myself preferring to drive my 23yr old suburban... I will also post back once it is all up and running.
What i am trying to figure out now is if a egr delete is necessary. Some say yes as the egr valve can be pushed open by back pressure and some (ford techs who i always listen to) say it can't happen. So there just isn't enough info. about this out there yet. The egr delete in the 6.0s made a world of difference in those trucks. I am on the fence...more research to be done. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rock Doctor-
I'm in the same boat. I bought the block off plates but after talking to some local techs I am not sure whether or not I should install them. The plus side of blocking it off is if the egr leaks you will not get coolant in the engine. The plus side of leaving alone is that under high boost they can open a little with the back pressure reducing pressure on head gaskets. (At least this is what I am being told).

Maybe some with more experience and knowledge will post on this issue so we can make a better educated decision on whether or not to block off egr.

Hunter40.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
The DPF-R by GearboxZ works as advertised. It turns off the Regen and EGR function and nothing else. They do have a + tune which is supposed to add some fuel mileage too. No experience with that however.
Did you have to put in the vin to start I bought a DPF-R 4.0 not sure if it deletes the egr and DPF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts