The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have had a TS 6 position chip for a while. It is on a 2002 7.3 going from split shots to single shots. It has given me problems before, I guess not making a perfect connection and I've had to take it out then put it back on. That always seemed to fix it. Recently, I knew it wasn't working again so I took it out and then reinstalled. Always by the book, disconnecting both batteries. Now that it's back in, it's still not working and in addition, my power door locks and remote unlock do not function. Not at all. Is this possibly due to frying the PCM? Or does this sound more like a GEM problem? Btw, the fuse is good...
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
does everything work with the chip unhooked?

did you take all the silicone off the pcm or possibly too much material?

its possible at this point the chip is fried

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Php, gearhead, dyno proven all can tune it for you

·
Super Moderator
26,501 Posts
Door locks are a GEM function. Nothing to do with the PCM.

Are you saying the chip doesn't work? Does the truck run without it, and you just have the door lock issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I discovered that in the 2002 model, the GEM was replaced by the VSM. It appears this is the cause of the door lock issue.
I took the chip out and made sure the terminals were clean. They were. There is still silver on all terminals so I don't think I overcleaned them. I did call TS Performance and was told that I should remove all the silver from the contacts. This is contrary to everything I've read...
Without the chip installed the truck runs very rough, as would be expected with single shots. With the chip in, it runs ok, but none of the 6 chip positions make any change. The smoke setting does nothing. Clay at RiffRaff suggested that the cable or 6 position switch may be bad and it might be worth ordering one to rule that out.
I'm at a loss...

·
Super Moderator
26,501 Posts
I discovered that in the 2002 model, the GEM was replaced by the VSM. It appears this is the cause of the door lock issue.
That's correct. I didn't notice that you had a 2002.

On the chip, it appears to be working, at least on one position (the last one you had it on?). I would agree that it's likely a cable or switch issue. You can check the cable for continuity to rule that out, but it's probably cheap enough that a new one would be the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts