The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO. I have been on the quest to make my 1989 F350 7.3 smoke. I want to put in a stack, but I want to blow coal before doing that. I tried turning up my fuel pump, but I just can't get the screw inside it to turn. I'll get it lined up and get my 5/32 Allen in there but it won't budge. Gave up a couple times, so if anyone has any tips on getting that screw to move, that'd be awesome. I also heard that you can put some cardboard over your air intake with 6 holes in it and it'll smoke as if you turned up your pump. Is this bad for the engine?
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Bad for the engine. Bad for the environment. Bad for diesel owners in general because every time you do something like that, you've just convinced every eyewitness with an IQ over 40 that there should be a law against it. Its a direct result of all those numbnutz out there blowing coal that all the new diesels are so bogged down with emission equipment that you can't even hear them running anymore. Bottom line - don't do it. Get another quest lined up - like how to get your IDI get 25 MPG so you can show off to all the other truck drivers that get half that.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
I also heard that you can put some cardboard over your air intake with 6 holes in it and it'll smoke as if you turned up your pump. Is this bad for the engine?
Oh, no that's a wonderful idea. Better yet, shove a few rags in the air cleaner duct.
I want to put in a stack, but I want to blow coal before doing that.
Eeww yeah, then you can pretend you're in one of those great big twucks that bend in the middle and go pssss, pssssss when you apply the air brakes. Oh wait, big trucks don't smoke or if they do, other drivers think why doesn't that idiot grab a lower gear or get his engine tuned like it should be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn you guys are harsh. If you don't agree, don't reply. I don't want to be blowing coal every time I accelerate. Just want a puff now and then when I want to.

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Those were the kind responses. We've learned not to express our true feelings because the moderators frown upon insulting other members.

Reactions: DENNY

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Damn you guys are harsh. If you don't agree, don't reply. I don't want to be blowing coal every time I accelerate. Just want a puff now and then when I want to.

Since the IDI is a mechanical diesel, you can't choose when to blow black smoke. The fuel is set and unlike computer controlled engines you can't "command" extra fuel at a whim.

You got harsh answers because we all remember the days of black smoke, gray skies and constant coughing. You can't even buy a new truck and get a tuner with a "smoke" setting. Those days are GONE, so get over it.

Reactions: DENNY

·
Registered
549 Posts
As an older fella who loves a good old fashioned diesel, trucks that blow black get extremely negative feedback from pretty much every thinking person who sees it.

Yep, people get p*ssed off about that. And cops notice it, too.

If you really want to blow black smoke, be aware that black smoke=too much fuel. Too much fuel=$$$ wasted.

If this doesn't deter you, by all means go ahead, but it won't get you respect. People really hate that stuff. Even a little black smoke causes people to think "what a d*ck".

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I just bought one that was "blowing coal". I replaced the IP, all of the 8 burned out glow plugs, the burned out glow plug relay, changed the engine oil, and properly filled the radiator. The kid that had it thought he was selling me a piece of junk, but I think I got a good truck after a little work, and stolen parts from my dead truck. It'll cost me a couple hundred dollars to get the IP re-set to proper settings, then rebuild the engine from my dead truck, and pickle it for further reference. The engine was over heating badly and slobbering coolant all over the place, besides using oil. Since making the repairs, not a drop of water use, and after a 220 mile trip at highway speeds used about a quart of oil.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Blowing out black coal is a big waste of money so do not put money to loose money. Put money where it will save you money.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
^^^^What I was trying to say by describing the results of "blowing coal". Over heating slobbering coolant, and sludged up crankcase. It's going to take several oil changes to clean that mess up.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
The fuel screw is probably maxed out = a worn out IP. I think he should purchase a good remaned IP and injectors for around $1200, add a turbo for another $2200, increase the exhaust size for another $400. Crank that fuel screw up all the way really tight, then hopefully this will happen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Trade you I got My 90 IDI from some idiot that cranked up the fuel, Send me a New IP and I will send you mine, and you will have all the black smoke you want.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Trade you I got My 90 IDI from some idiot that cranked up the fuel, Send me a New IP and I will send you mine, and you will have all the black smoke you want.
Don't encourage the idiot. He might just be fool enough to take you up on that offer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have to say, for the most part, I'm embarrassed when mine smokes. I feel people are thinking 'man get that thing looked at'. I'm thinking about getting Hypermax's "puff eliminator" but it 285 bucks. It limits the fuel until you have sufficient boost. All I really have to do is not put my foot in it so quick and wait the second until I have boost. Doesn't work when you want to force a down shift thought. Then is puffs smokes for a second and I'm gone. I think of it as a magic trick. Then it makes me chuckle a little.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
I feel people are thinking 'man get that thing looked at'. I'm thinking about getting Hypermax's "puff eliminator" but it 285 bucks.
Right, I drove truck for a lot of years at various times in my life and never heard any drivers mention any "coolness" involved in making smoke and that was before emission controlled engines. Talk of outpulling each other up a long grade was another matter.:lol:
That puff eliminator was just like the aneroid valves on the old Cummins NTC 855's in heavy trucks years ago. Just came into play at low RPM when starting out with a heavy load.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just bought one that was "blowing coal". I replaced the IP, all of the 8 burned out glow plugs, the burned out glow plug relay, changed the engine oil, and properly filled the radiator. The kid that had it thought he was selling me a piece of junk, but I think I got a good truck after a little work, and stolen parts from my dead truck. It'll cost me a couple hundred dollars to get the IP re-set to proper settings, then rebuild the engine from my dead truck, and pickle it for further reference. The engine was over heating badly and slobbering coolant all over the place, besides using oil. Since making the repairs, not a drop of water use, and after a 220 mile trip at highway speeds used about a quart of oil.

I have a good idi motor if you're interested 130k. Very dry motor

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have a good idi motor if you're interested 130k. Very dry motor
Not interested. When I'm done rebuilding the dead one I have I'll have a good dry engine with no miles on it, for about the same price. The one that was "blowing coal" is cleaning itself up. The sludge in the crank case is clearing up, and over all it has used about 2 quarts of oil and no water in nearly 1,000 miles. Not bad for what was happening when it was "blowing coal. It might die tomorrow, but for now it's doing just fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SO. I have been on the quest to make my 1989 F350 7.3 smoke. I want to put in a stack, but I want to blow coal before doing that. I tried turning up my fuel pump, but I just can't get the screw inside it to turn. I'll get it lined up and get my 5/32 Allen in there but it won't budge. Gave up a couple times, so if anyone has any tips on getting that screw to move, that'd be awesome. I also heard that you can put some cardboard over your air intake with 6 holes in it and it'll smoke as if you turned up your pump. Is this bad for the engine?
Thanks guys!
change the pump timing. about one tooth, maybe two. not only will it smoke all the time, but you will roll coal from 25 mph to 75 mph, and get tickets all day long, plus it will sound like a chevy 350 with a hefty cam.you will notice a increase in the amount of you burn, and your engine will last about 100,00 miles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts