The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I just bought one that was "blowing coal". I replaced the IP, all of the 8 burned out glow plugs, the burned out glow plug relay, changed the engine oil, and properly filled the radiator. The kid that had it thought he was selling me a piece of junk, but I think I got a good truck after a little work, and stolen parts from my dead truck. It'll cost me a couple hundred dollars to get the IP re-set to proper settings, then rebuild the engine from my dead truck, and pickle it for further reference. The engine was over heating badly and slobbering coolant all over the place, besides using oil. Since making the repairs, not a drop of water use, and after a 220 mile trip at highway speeds used about a quart of oil.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
^^^^What I was trying to say by describing the results of "blowing coal". Over heating slobbering coolant, and sludged up crankcase. It's going to take several oil changes to clean that mess up.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Trade you I got My 90 IDI from some idiot that cranked up the fuel, Send me a New IP and I will send you mine, and you will have all the black smoke you want.
Don't encourage the idiot. He might just be fool enough to take you up on that offer.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have a good idi motor if you're interested 130k. Very dry motor
Not interested. When I'm done rebuilding the dead one I have I'll have a good dry engine with no miles on it, for about the same price. The one that was "blowing coal" is cleaning itself up. The sludge in the crank case is clearing up, and over all it has used about 2 quarts of oil and no water in nearly 1,000 miles. Not bad for what was happening when it was "blowing coal. It might die tomorrow, but for now it's doing just fine.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Why would you want to blow black smoke? All it does is put soot all over everything it touches, including your truck. Then it eventually ruins your engine, because the excess fuel washes down the cylinder walls, and dilutes the crankcase oil, causing the entire engine to get poor lubrication. That causes premature engine failure and costs lots of money for the rebuild, not to mention the excessive fuel you are buying to make your engine destroy itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts