The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
if you want to smoke and waste fuel, you should man up and build a race engine.
after 15k in parts, you will fire it up once and find your wallet empty and be cured of the "i wanna be cool" attitude.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SO. I have been on the quest to make my 1989 F350 7.3 smoke. I want to put in a stack, but I want to blow coal before doing that. I tried turning up my fuel pump, but I just can't get the screw inside it to turn. I'll get it lined up and get my 5/32 Allen in there but it won't budge. Gave up a couple times, so if anyone has any tips on getting that screw to move, that'd be awesome. I also heard that you can put some cardboard over your air intake with 6 holes in it and it'll smoke as if you turned up your pump. Is this bad for the engine?
Thanks guys!
You’ll just have to find a way to get that injection pump turned up. Id start with like an 1/8th of a turn and go from there. Too much fuel is obviously bad but if you’re set on rolling some coal that injection pump is about the only way to do it. As far as how to get that screw to turn I’m not sure. I turned mine up on my 1993 7.3 idi fairly easy. It was a little hard but it finally gave. I ended up turning it back down (I made marks to go back to where it was) because it really wasn’t rolling coal like I wanted it too and I didn’t wanna turn it up further than a full turn.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I was pulling my wimpy little 4K boat&trailer yesterday, 75+ tune, hard on the go pedal from a stop and keeping up with traffic 65 mph , great boost, and not even a puff of the black stuff.

All you guys hell bent on wanting to roll coal ought to go back to your gassers and rice burners.

You can kind of see in the other drivers faces, “How is that great big truck and boat keeping up with my car” Don’t ya just hate it when one of them guns it to get ahead of you in traffic and then dilly dally’s along like their on a Sunday drive:mad:

·
Registered
238 Posts
IMHO Rolling coal has nothing but negatives.

First and foremost it has brought A LOT of unwanted 'attention' from cops and EPA to our hobby of keeping old diesels on the road.

Second, no one on the road should be forced to breathe the black cloud of soot because someone thinks it is 'cool'.

Third, it's bad for the engine, causes high EGTs that can quickly damage the engine.

Finally, crappy fuel milage.

In the word of Nancy Regan... 'Just say noʾ

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
SO. I have been on the quest to make my 1989 F350 7.3 smoke. I want to put in a stack, but I want to blow coal before doing that. I tried turning up my fuel pump, but I just can't get the screw inside it to turn. I'll get it lined up and get my 5/32 Allen in there but it won't budge. Gave up a couple times, so if anyone has any tips on getting that screw to move, that'd be awesome. I also heard that you can put some cardboard over your air intake with 6 holes in it and it'll smoke as if you turned up your pump. Is this bad for the engine?
Thanks guys!
Thanks guys!
Don’t restrict the air at all you want as much air as possible through the intake. That said rollin coal is a result of unburned fuel so you’ll need to get more fuel into the combustion process. You may just have too old of parts I’d put in a new fuel pump and fuel lift pump and make sure all your injectors are squared away as far as o-rings so that you don’t have air intrusion. Then there’s a few forums that’ll tell you how to get to your fuel screw but it sounds like you figured that out. I would install an egt gauge and run it to the cabin as the very first thing you do Bc it’s really easy to overheat and destroy the engine going uphill or pulling a load. But basically just upgrade your fuel delivery system! I wouldn’t recommend bigger injectors unless you plan to do an aftermarket upgrade tho the pump and install a turbo but just have fun with it man! Also it’s fun to roll coal but the stock tune on these trucks is part of the reason they last 500k miles routinely so just keep in mind you will probably negatively impact the longevity of the engine. To me it’s worth it it’s cool and it’s fun and it’s fitting for the old dirty diesels to blow a cloud on the ******* driver behind you or when ur gunnin it to the lake with the old lady and the boat XD

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Why would you want to blow black smoke? All it does is put soot all over everything it touches, including your truck. Then it eventually ruins your engine, because the excess fuel washes down the cylinder walls, and dilutes the crankcase oil, causing the entire engine to get poor lubrication. That causes premature engine failure and costs lots of money for the rebuild, not to mention the excessive fuel you are buying to make your engine destroy itself.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts