The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have to pull my 5fth wheel out west in a month or so. My truck has 214K on it (only about 2K from me) and frankly I'm a little worried about taking it that far.
I have done the following,
rebuilt injectors
all filters & belt
LUK
glow plugs
clean the screen on side of fuel bowl

I plan to replace the valve cover gaskets and inner harness's and have a spare cam sensor. I have checked all oil levels.

Is there anything else you all would inspect/replace before going this far? I have no idea what was repaired or replaced before I got the truck.

My worse fear is that it will just die somewhere a long way from anywhere, maybe I've read to many horror stories.

Any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
848 Posts
One thing I would do is look at the help network on this site and look at all the state you will be traveling in, print it up and keep it in the glove box.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
My only suggestion would be to carry an extra belt and some oil and water. It sounds like you have done everyting else. You can only do so much and then it's time to go. Where is "out west". Your sig says "rides like a bull-purrs like a kitten" Then srap yourself down and RIDE 'EM COWBOY.
I used to have an '86 F250 460/C6 and I carried enough tools to do a rebuild on the side of the road. Looking back I think it was being a little over cautious..hauled an extra 200 lbs. but I NEVER had to use them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Check the oil and go! I'd take mine today.

·
Registered
813 Posts
where are you going out west that's a long way from anywhere? my thoughts are the same as chuckster57.... i carry a spare cps, used serpentine belt and power steering hose.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I think you'll be fine, Check your coolant with some test strips and change it if neccessary. You are aware of the FW-16 additive that needs to be in the cooling system? If you haven't already done it, check the oil levels in the axles, tranny and transfer case. Unless they have been serviced recently I would also check the front wheel bearings and repack them unless you know the previous owner did it recently. So, basically what i'm saying is check all your fluid levels and grease points and fill or replace as neccessary. I just did a 2600 mile trip in mine and it never skipped a beat.

Dave

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If things work out I will be relocating to Lake Havasu City Arizona from Cambridge Ohio.

I thought about the wheel bearings, how bad of a job is it to pack the bearings? I've done a lot of cars and 2 wheel drive trucks but never a 4WD with lock out hubs.

I ask a guy in Napa about the test strips to check the SCA levels in the coolant and he had no idea what I was talking about so I dropped it. That was right after I bought the truck and started reading about the SCA levels here in this great forum. I should do a complete flush and refill if I can get the time, guess I should make the time.

A new problem recently came up. Once in a while I'll go to start up and it will just crank and not fire off, turn the ignition switch off and go right back to cranking and it fires right up. Any thought's on this? I't cranks really fast.

I sure like to hear about the trouble free trips you guys are taking:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think he'll need much of that - do you??
Hahaha.....VERY FUNNY!!:jester: This is how I have it figured:

2000 miles divided by 10 MPG = 200 gallons of fuel X $4.50 per gallon = 900 BUCKS!! SHEESH!!

Anyone have an idea on the not starting thing I mentioned a couple posts up?

I got that recal notice for the cam sensor and have an appointment for Wed. morn.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Hahaha.....VERY FUNNY!!:jester: This is how I have it figured:

2000 miles divided by 10 MPG = 200 gallons of fuel X $4.50 per gallon = 900 BUCKS!! SHEESH!!

Anyone have an idea on the not starting thing I mentioned a couple posts up?

Hey, with that math it could be a good problem!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Das- You ever service the rear diff.? Might be a good idea. Really not much to it. Sometimes when its cold out the glow plugs dont heat up enough to fire off the truck the first time. Usually when Im in Utah-Idaho etc where its cold and not plugged in, ill turn the key on then leave it on a few after the wait to start light shuts off. This usually get it heated up enough to fire.I agree with the coolant. I would drain and re fill and dont forget the additive.Lake Havasu eh? Spent allot of time at "The River". Not sure what your experience is or what your looking for, but if it means anything, I would also look around the Parker area, or Bullhead. Havasu is a cluster****. Or even out north of Bullhead in the Kingman area. Better property deals out there, plus not all the congestion, and Laughlin is a plus. It gets hotter then a you know what there though. Last week fuel was ONLY 3.99gl at the circle K in Bullhead. Good luck!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Das- You ever service the rear diff.? Might be a good idea. Really not much to it. Sometimes when its cold out the glow plugs dont heat up enough to fire off the truck the first time. Usually when Im in Utah-Idaho etc where its cold and not plugged in, ill turn the key on then leave it on a few after the wait to start light shuts off. This usually get it heated up enough to fire.I agree with the coolant. I would drain and re fill and dont forget the additive.Lake Havasu eh? Spent allot of time at "The River". Not sure what your experience is or what your looking for, but if it means anything, I would also look around the Parker area, or Bullhead. Havasu is a cluster****. Or even out north of Bullhead in the Kingman area. Better property deals out there, plus not all the congestion, and Laughlin is a plus. It gets hotter then a you know what there though. Last week fuel was ONLY 3.99gl at the circle K in Bullhead. Good luck!
Man what good info Catskinner! Now that I think of it I noticed this winter that the rear wheels would spin independently of one another but when I recently had the truck jacked up I spun one wheel and the other turned the same direction so I assume I have Posi track....Correct? If the other wheel would have spun the oppisite direction then I would assume no Posi. I bet it don't have the correct oil in the rear diff.

Thanks for the info on the LH area, I really need to know more. Wife and I are flying out this weekend to check it out. We want to stay away from the tourest trap, just need country place to be. Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wouldnt worry to much about the truck. I have 270,000 on mine and would not hesitate to go across country with it. All you can do is check out the normal items like you have, then go. If the motor is strong and the tranny is good you should be ok.

The starting problem may be your CPS. If you have recieved a recall notice get it in and have it changed out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldnt worry to much about the truck. I have 270,000 on mine and would not hesitate to go across country with it. All you can do is check out the normal items like you have, then go. If the motor is strong and the tranny is good you should be ok.

The starting problem may be your CPS. If you have recieved a recall notice get it in and have it changed out.
I have an appointment for 9:00 tomorrow morning. Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
No problem buddy. Not sure about what RE you have, but when i did mine i got some info from a dude that had a site or link that was called "Grizzles 01" or something. i have it on my work pc.Ill get it for you. it was real informative. there is a tag attached to a bolt on the diff that has all the info, but i would be willing to bet ding dongs to doughnuts its a 10.5 sterling probably limited slip. When i changed mine at 100,000mi it was quite stanky. I put in synthetic 140. I bought my truck brand new in 98, and its been virtually trouble free. I travel all over creation, pulling a 28ft fifthwheel, through
Arizona at 115 deg,Nevada,Utah,Redding Ca etc. some hills 8-9 percent grades for miles. Our trucks run cool for the most part but under these conditions it takes awhile to cool them down when they start getting hot. Ive actually passed newer superduties pulling hills cuz ill actually downshift out of OD and run at a higher rpm, thus bringing down the temp. The temps in Arz are extreme to say the least. I dropped a new radiator in my truck just to get the temps down sooner.
Yea, Havasu was cool when I was 18 and had a jetboat, but I agree with you, I just want to find a country place to relax, fish and kick. I go to Utah for that. Dont be fooled with what you experience this time of the year at the river. Its still cool, and the "River rats havent arrived. All you need is to bring the little woman out, and all is cool, then when you re locate its a freekin zoo. Parker is better,then there is a place called "Big river" its near Parker but you can actually have a place ON the river, but its on Indian res, so you really dont own the property. Problem is, out here people are looking to get out of the pit we call socal, and many retire, or buy out at the river, so property gets expensive. You have to look outside the trap. Havasu looks cool on TRU TV, but on summer weekends there are so many crazy a holes its hard to have a good time. Take a drive up the 95 north of there and check it out, much nicer to the north. Just be warned, in the summer at the river its usually 110-115, and at night is get down to 98-100.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts