The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Ford F250, 7.3 manual, 2 door, 2 wheel drive. Passenger bank not working. First time diesel owner.

Bought the truck about 400 miles from home. Drove amazing, minus one hickup when I lost power for a few seconds, I might have hit a regulator following my bat **** crazy friend though. Got it back, with 23 mpg, obviously a good tail wind. Next time starting at home fired it up, went to finalize getting ready, and it shut down the passenger bay, limped to the gas station, filled up, went away after 5 miles. No issues for about a week. Put some expensive tires on it. Finished work, pulled over to talk on phone, same issue after a few seconds. Didn't go away. Hired a retired vet mechanic. Change the CPS, ICP, filters, opened the valve covers, ran all sorts of test, everything passed. Still wasn't firing right, but his last day of work it randomly went away. 3000 miles later and no where near home, it started again. New ICP, checked the harnesses again, new IPR coil( couldn't get anything in to change it completely due to some line right there next to it. Starts and runs, no passenger bank still. Having hpop and fuel pressure test tomorrow. It totally wants to go, but something is not letting it? HPOP, lpop, ipr, fuel, IDM, pcm? I don't know, I don't have tools, on the side of the road for almost a month in Moffat Colorado.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You probably have a fuel issue. Open the drain valve on the fuel bowl. Some fuel should run out the tube under the truck on the front of the oil pan. Turn the key on, you should get a steady stream from the tube for 20seconds when the fuel.pump turns on. If this test fails you may have a bad fuel pump or clogged filter screens in the tank.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Also it is easy to change the ipr with a socket or I used an open end wrench. It is doable without removing any fuel lines

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
The IDM will shut down a bank of injectors if it sees a problem with the wiring going to them.

Get a volt ohm meter out and do the test from this attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The IDM will shut down a bank of injectors if it sees a problem with the wiring going to them.

Get a volt ohm meter out and do the test from this attachment.
It showed 3.5 ohms on the passenger side, 4.2 ohms on the driver's side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You probably have a fuel issue. Open the drain valve on the fuel bowl. Some fuel should run out the tube under the truck on the front of the oil pan. Turn the key on, you should get a steady stream from the tube for 20seconds when the fuel.pump turns on. If this test fails you may have a bad fuel pump or clogged filter screens in the tank.
That was a quick way to make a mess. It definitely was flowing. Change the filter while I was there just in case.

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
It showed 3.5 ohms on the passenger side, 4.2 ohms on the driver's side.
What was showing that resistance? The injector armatures or just the wires? Did you check resistance to ground and for shorts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What was showing that resistance? The injector armatures or just the wires? Did you check resistance to ground and for shorts?
That was from the IDM pinouts from the attachment you sent. And the other two test show open. Also ran a volt test on the ICP pigtail, and it all tested in range.

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
Do you know anyone that has a 7.3 truck that you can swap IDM with to check?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Waiting to see if a buddy can find it. He found an ipr to swap but my socket was too fat to clear a line to actually change it. He's now looking for the tool he used as well as the IDM, but unfortunately won't be back until this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried the IPR, no change, actually worse. Talked with the manager at O Riley and got them to agree to sell me an IDM to test out and return if that's not it. Well turns out that's what it was, just need to replace my ipr and install the new IDM and should be good to get out of the mountains before the storm. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The fuel gauge 😁

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
If it is running now you should be good to go.

Did you notice if there was any water in the old IDM? You can pick it up and shake it and see if you can hear it slosh around. The position that it is mounted in makes it fairly easy for water to drain off of the trucks hood and get into it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
150 mile test drive today. Power is really good, mpg went back to when I bought it this summer. Went over two passes in 5th at 65 to 70, which it couldn't do on the way here. Heading to Lubbock tomorrow before a big storm. Couldn't here any water but when I pulled the harness to run that test could see the pins where corroded matching the bank that was out. And there was moisture in the plug. Thought it was grease but pretty sure it was moisture now. Could of had it running right away if I would of just pulled the trigger on the IDM. But a month broken down in the mountains by myself and learning a lot about my truck is not a bad thing. Thank you bugman for the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts