The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question for anyone using a White Rodgers/Stancor relay in place of the factory glow plug relay. Are there any downsides to doing this mod? Does the increased coil size negatively effect the PCM? I am tired of replacing the OEM style every 2 or 3 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
No bad effects at all.

Just do not try to get them warrantied ...... I have two sitting in my junk pile - less than 1 year old......
Sent them back ( no names mentioned ) And was told - all good.... LMFAO !

Yet, I replaced the " bad ones " with a back up set of the same that I had and the trucks fire right up. And those TWO are still going great 1.5 years later.......

This happened on two of my 7.3 ...... My 00 F550 and my 02 F350.....

that's my 2 cents......

Ps, did I notice any "better starting" NO........

Did they last longer,,,, the original in my 00 F550 lasted 14 years and 120,000 miles......

·
Super Moderator
25,434 Posts
I've been running a Stancor relay for a number of years now with no adverse affects.
I've had OEM relays die in as little as 2 months. At that rate, I've saved a ton on money on GPRs by switching to the Stancor.
I'd recommend you go for it.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Can't say I have experienced any issues with my Stancors either but my Napa Echlin lasted 6-7 months.

Is it possible an underlying issue could result in burning through Stancors so quickly?

Possibly miswired?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My last one was a Echlin. I put a BWD on it today to get me going. Took the Echlin apart and it had a steel contact disk. Talk about cutting costs... I would have thought it would have at least been copper? Most dc relay contacts are copper and or brass. Aftermarket junk I guess. I ordered the Stancor. I will swap it with the BWD and keep the BWD for a spare.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
Even the factory relay has a steel contact disk. The problem usually comes from pitting on the contacts which is caused by the arching when the relay pulls in. After a while there just isn't anything left to make a good contact with. The Stancor or White/Rodgers now is rated for a higher amperage than the stock one and the contacts will not pit as fast. I have had mine on for over 17 years now with zero problems.

As for hooking it up wrong there really isn't a way since it isn't polarity sensitive.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
As for hooking it up wrong there really isn't a way since it isn't polarity sensitive.
I am with you on that BugMan but its rare to hear of one Stancor going bad so quickly but the odds of two going bad on the same truck in a short time is even more surprising. I guess if they were purchased from the same parts store then they may have come from the same "batch" and something in the assembly was faulty.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
A few years ago there was a run of bad ones. It seamed that people were going through a lot of them for some reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts