The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am at a loss to finding out this issue.

I have a 1993 E-350 Diesel IDI

I put in three different sets of glow plugs
Replaced 3 controllers
Made a new harness
Installed new injectors (the old ones were leaking oil)
Ran a new dedicated ground to the block near the GPR

and I am still blowing glow plugs every time just after one run
It blows the whole set too.

The controller is self controlled meaning nothing controls this other than the relay unit itself which was replaced three times.

The glow plugs themselvs come out with no pitting or damaged other then an internal failure and no longer work......Could this be a voltage issue (alt putting out too much)? Could Napa be giving me the wrong controller? Then I first install the new controller and GP set it works perfect as described. Goes on for about 20 seconds and then cycles while the engine is running for up to 2 minutes then goes off.:banana:

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
your controller has a resistor on it, right? I wonder if it's being bypassed, so too much voltage is reaching the plugs.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If he bought what Napa typically has on shelves it is the autolite plugs and they do burn out after about 5 seconds on these, even with the resistor.

·
Registered
214 Posts
do u have a picture of how its wired up? maybe one of the wieres is hooked up wrong

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trial and error

thanks all for the help... i will try to post a picture if I can

the plugs i have tried is
autolight
champanion
bosch
all in sets

i find it hard to beleive it would blow all 8 even though i'm told they are of crappy quality except bosch seems to be ok.....especially after only once.

i just picked up wellman, and i am going to look at maybe the wiring was switched as suggested, this would bypass the resistor and cause too high of voltage which makes sense??.......maybe maybe lets cross our fingers. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stand corrected

So I stand corrected.......put the wellman plugs in an haven't had an issue since. Its so hard to believe all these manufactures put out so garbage and keep putting it out. Hopefully this will save someone else from not listening and go and get either the motocraft or wellmans

1 - 7 of 7 Posts