The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the stock catalytic converter, then comparing in my head to an aftermarket 4" exhaust...........it seems the cat pipe size will be a restriction in a turbo back system.
Being as the cat pipe flares out to past 4 inches where it enters/exits the converter......can I cut the cat delete pipe with the aftermarket kit and cut the cat pipe where it expands to the same diameter then re-weld the pieces together.
I am a certified welder and welding the stainless is no problem.
Seems this would fix the restriction the stock pipe would cause and allow my aftermarket kit to have all the flow it needs as well as keep the volume down like I want.
Any thoughts on this ?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
if you are getting a turbo back system, the kit will come on many pieces. im pretty sure most kits include a piece the size of the cat so you can run either the cat, or the straight 4" pipe. the cat is a definite restriction and should really be ditched unless youve got to pass smog tests. if a little more sound doesnt bother you, smog tests are the only reason you should keep it...

·
Registered
167 Posts
The cat is 4" inside, I cut the ends off of mine and rewelded to eliminate the restriction...

GW

·
Vendor
4,146 Posts
I don't know which exhaust system you are looking at, but the DPPI (for example) comes with a 3.5" downpipe to match up to the inlet of the cat pipe. The system goes to 4" after the cat, which eliminates the need for cutting up the cat and allows for the use of a "cat delete test pipe" (for off road use only of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts