The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this question has been beet to death on forums but everybody situation is different this 84 6.9 150,000mi I have starts and runs great and 18mpg but under acceleration it puffs white smoke with no miss still has good power but white smoke I changed the injectors "which are BB code with no change I was going to drive to the nearest diesel shop 70 miles and have the IP timing checked but finding one that nows how to work on a diesel without computer help is hard to do, it has what I believe is the factory water separator on it which is a square with a baldwin clear filter and a pc drain on it doesnt seem its pulling air does it on both tanks the last 6.9 I drove for a service truck blew coal black smoke when you got on it a little this one is the opposite anybody have any ideas
thanks

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
If you have the water separater mounted on the firewall, the drain valve on them is difficult to close tight, you can eliminate/bypass it, or change over to one like this. see pic. The drain valve will let air in without leaking fuel.
White smoke is usually from air intrusion from some place, check all the rubber hose connections, any wetness on them means a leak.

If your truly getting 18 MPG, your IP is pretty close to the right timing. A diesel IP/injector rebuild shop is about the only place to have them timed. Ford dealers have long ago got rid of there timing instruments, it's rare if they haven't

Edit: I have two of the filters for sale. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not being real familiar with the 6.9 I talked with the mech the previous owner always used and found out on this motor he had put on the 7.3 glow plug conversion it has the bullet style plugs 12v wiring harness and controller and the fuel separator is a aftermarket Baldwin glass face with replaceable filters BF912 looks like ones ive seen on John Deere tractors found a new element for it which has its own seal swap it out and see didnt notice any wet spots on it I did notice after draining the pc was dripping because i didnt get it tight enough that has quite dripping now will mess with it some more
thank you

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My local Navistar (International) dealer still has the equipment to time IDI's .
Also a good place to buy BERU GP's and other parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts