The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm also considering these for the back 4 tires on my Dually, but in my case I'm looking to stick with the OEM 235/85/16 size (which is fairly narrow for the height of the tire). Of course with Duallies you get alot better wear out of the rear tires due to the total amount of tire surface contacting the ground and horrible front tire wear out of any tire with gaps in the tread (which is why I use a different tire for the front).

I'm curious to hear from people who actually have experience with Goodyear DuraTrac's on a dually, especially if they used the 235/85/16 size.

Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
After 600 miles on the Duratracs and after some driving in HEAVY rain.....

Still VERY impressed with the duratracs....I drove about 5.5 hours in moderate to heavy rain today and never hydroplaned or felt any sort of traction loss AT ALL. This weekend we'll see how they do in the snow.

Cary, lift is going on Saturday. Damn UPS delivered 6 out of 7 boxed last Friday....I was all set to install the lift saturday but some dummy over at the Bay Area hub aparently didnt load the last box onto the truck headed for my local distribution center...Oh well, pics to come this weekend!

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
GY DuraTrac's, Toyo's etc

Have a set of Duratracs on a new F150 at office. Not enough miles to really tell but they SEEM to do well in the mud from last fall as well as ALL THIS DANG SNOW! Surprised to see the comments on the Toyo's. I have run the M-55's (have a set on the '94 right now) and all i can say is that these are a TIRE. Excellent traction, wear, load bearing and all that. And expensive, too! I just put a set of General Grabber AT2's on my '95 F150 and am impressed with the traction in snow, slop and some mud. They are also quiet on the pavement and the price wasn't a killer either. My tire guy says the oil field gang is impressed with them, so that carries some weight too. Best luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
...Still VERY impressed with the duratracs....I drove about 5.5 hours in moderate to heavy rain today and never hydroplaned or felt any sort of traction loss AT ALL. This weekend we'll see how they do in the snow.

...Cary, lift is going on Saturday. Damn UPS delivered 6 out of 7 boxed last Friday.
So do you agree with what many people have said on the internet that the Goodyear Dura Trac's are quiet?

I noticed your mention of a car lift, since I own a Transmission Repair shop with my Brother I have several of them (all 2 post models). Our lowest capacity lift is a rather unique 7,000 lb Rotary lift (SP84) that's designed mainly to lift uni-body vehicles. Our medium lift is a Rotary 9,000 lb asymmetrical, and our pride and joy is a Mohawk 10,000 lb System 1 lift that actually has a weight gauge on it to tell you the vehicles weight. Our next lift will be a drive on 4-post lift somewhere in the 18,000 to 30,000 lb range with dual rolling center lift jacks.

I wanted to mention that if your getting a 2 post lift the floor anchors you use are very important, I only use one type of anchor made by Wej-It. Cheap universal anchors can pull out of the floor, the ones we use came with the Mohawk Lift when we bought it new. We were so impressed with them that we bought that type anchor for our other lifts as well - they really are awesome. If your interested I can get you the model numbers of the anchors so you could order some.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
So do you agree with what many people have said on the internet that the Goodyear Dura Trac's are quiet?

I noticed your mention of a car lift, since I own a Transmission Repair shop with my Brother I have several of them (all 2 post models). Our lowest capacity lift is a rather unique 7,000 lb Rotary lift (SP84) that's designed mainly to lift uni-body vehicles. Our medium lift is a Rotary 9,000 lb asymmetrical, and our pride and joy is a Mohawk 10,000 lb System 1 lift that actually has a weight gauge on it to tell you the vehicles weight. Our next lift will be a drive on 4-post lift somewhere in the 18,000 to 30,000 lb range with dual rolling center lift jacks.

I wanted to mention that if your getting a 2 post lift the floor anchors you use are very important, I only use one type of anchor made by Wej-It. Cheap universal anchors can pull out of the floor, the ones we use came with the Mohawk Lift when we bought it new. We were so impressed with them that we bought that type anchor for our other lifts as well - they really are awesome. If your interested I can get you the model numbers of the anchors so you could order some.
Yes they are quiet. Night and day quieter than Toyo's. Slight noise above 70 mph but its very subtle and not irritating (I am very sensitive to noisy tires, I hate noisy tires).

I think we are talking 2 different types I lift. I was referring to the suspension lift I put on my truck over the weekend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes they are quiet. Night and day quieter than Toyo's. Slight noise above 70 mph but its very subtle and not irritating (I am very sensitive to noisy tires, I hate noisy tires).

I think we are talking 2 different types I lift. I was referring to the suspension lift I put on my truck over the weekend.
LOL, that's funny! I have such a one track mind right now about buying another vehicle lift for our shop that I didn't even think about you buying a lift kit for your truck!

Thanks for the response about the tires.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have around 15,000 miles on the 325/65R18 DuraTracs on my 2007 F-350.

Still very impressed with the tire. Second season snow plowing with them and they did great even in the Blizzard that dumped 27" of snow here with 3-7' drifts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure how long ago you posted, but you may very well be able to enlighten me. I have an '09 4X4 with 2.5" lift and was looking at 325/60X20. First concern (especially by tire dealer) was possible rubbing on turns. Second issue was their hesitancy of mounting the tires on the stock 2'X8" rims. Have you experienced any issues, or should I be o.k. I've always ran BF's TA KOs, but am looking at Duratracs.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm also considering these for the back 4 tires on my Dually, but in my case I'm looking to stick with the OEM 235/85/16 size (which is fairly narrow for the height of the tire). Of course with Duallies you get alot better wear out of the rear tires due to the total amount of tire surface contacting the ground and horrible front tire wear out of any tire with gaps in the tread (which is why I use a different tire for the front).

I'm curious to hear from people who actually have experience with Goodyear DuraTrac's on a dually, especially if they used the 235/85/16 size.

Thanks, Mike.

X2

I'm also looking at the stock 235/85R16 in the duratrac for my '02 dually. Anyone run these on their DRW?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Not sure how long ago you posted, but you may very well be able to enlighten me. I have an '09 4X4 with 2.5" lift and was looking at 325/60X20. First concern (especially by tire dealer) was possible rubbing on turns. Second issue was their hesitancy of mounting the tires on the stock 2'X8" rims. Have you experienced any issues, or should I be o.k. I've always ran BF's TA KOs, but am looking at Duratracs.
Might get a little rubbing on the inner rear corners of the fender liner...easy to pin them back and inch or so and not an issue.

May also get a little rubbing on the radius arm...Very slight and only and total full lock.

325/60/20 fit on the stock 20x8 wheels just fine. I was concerend too but they fit great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
325/60R20

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get a decent price for my stock tires and wheels (not a fortune, but enough to off-set new wheels & tires). Also got a great price on some Fuel - Guage rims with tires. Sure enough, left turn rubbing, but only required modification to soft material. Went ahead and bit the bullet and had mini maxx and DPF delete pipe installed today. Surprisingly instant fuel mileage improvement of 5-6 mpg while city driving? Thanks again for your input.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I was able to get a decent price for my stock tires and wheels (not a fortune, but enough to off-set new wheels & tires). Also got a great price on some Fuel - Guage rims with tires. Sure enough, left turn rubbing, but only required modification to soft material. Went ahead and bit the bullet and had mini maxx and DPF delete pipe installed today. Surprisingly instant fuel mileage improvement of 5-6 mpg while city driving? Thanks again for your input.

^^Nice looking SD! I like those rims!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Now that a few yall have had these DuraTecs on for some time..how are they holding up. I presently have 36k on my 325 60 R20 BFG's and in a few K they will need to be changed. Im mostly city, some heavy towing and when they were put on for about the first 2k the tire dealer aired them up to 80psi like the stock 275 65 R20's Michelons. 65psi is max... I still need low E for what I do and want to keep the same tire size..so there is really only 2 tires that I have found..GY and BFG's that would work.. Supposedely the new and improved BFG's just came out in this series and mud terrain..I might try that...looking for feedback from a few that have had experience with the GY's,....Thanks Guys. Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now that a few yall have had these DuraTecs on for some time..how are they holding up. I presently have 36k on my 325 60 R20 BFG's and in a few K they will need to be changed. Im mostly city, some heavy towing and when they were put on for about the first 2k the tire dealer aired them up to 80psi like the stock 275 65 R20's Michelons. 65psi is max... I still need low E for what I do and want to keep the same tire size..so there is really only 2 tires that I have found..GY and BFG's that would work.. Supposedely the new and improved BFG's just came out in this series and mud terrain..I might try that...looking for feedback from a few that have had experience with the GY's,....Thanks Guys. Jeff
I'vegot about 30K on my duratracs. May get another 10 or so. Rotating every 10,000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got 35k on mine and look like they have a lot of life left in them. Rotate every 5k. I also have these on my fj cruiser. Have about 40k on those and at least 10k more to go.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ditto, ditto and ditto. Been running the BFG AT KO for several years.

My tire requirements are all about getting to our cabin without having to chain up: 5 miles of slick snowpacked roads with steep up and down hills, plus 1/4 mile uphill of 0" to 10" snow which may or may not be wet, powdery, crusted, etc.

BFG AT KO's have worked pretty well so far...when they are new. But so have the Toyo AT's on my Supercrew work truck...more or less. Worn down last year they did as well as the worn BFG AT's. A new set of Toyo AT's on the work truck is doing pretty well this season, and has done a great job on packed pavement, even new snow. I don't have new BFG AT's to compare them to...other than what I remember the BFG's doing on those roads when new.

The Duratracs are very tempting. Wondering about traction, stability/handling, and tread life.

The size I'm looking at is 325/65r18, and like another person posted, about the only decent tires in that size are the BFG AT's and the GY Duratrac.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Duratracs are great in snow and ice!!!! I had a set of these on my Toyota t100 and it would go through 4-5ft of snow with no problems. In addition I actually even climbed a 45* hill with them in the snow in which the truck went up so much that the rear bumper hit the ground (with a 3"lift and 33's). Very quiet tire for the profile.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Biggest problem IMO with them is sidewalls are to soft for a heavy truck esp towing..I'd look at the Toyo AT2's.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Biggest problem IMO with them is sidewalls are to soft for a heavy truck esp towing..I'd look at the Toyo AT2's.
I'm not so sure. I have the Xtreams in size LT 285/75 R18 on stock rims. Although they are advertised at being able to hold 4080lbs per tire at 80PSI, my fronts passed the chalk test at 60PSI with only 4600 pounds on the front axel, rears wear even at 45 PSI with 3200 pounds. I haven't really loaded the truck up or towed yet, but I'm concerned that the tires might get squishy if I come close to my rear axel weight of 7000 pounds, even at 80 PSI.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts