The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to owning a gooseneck. The other day, while unhitching with hydraulic jack, I didn’t open the hitch before trying to raise jack/trailer. When doing so, I heard a bit of a pop noise from truck bed, and immediately stopped.

Now the ball hitch seems a bit looser than it’s very tight self before. Any advice? Going to get it looked at at the ford dealer next week but curious on any opinions. Could a bolt underneath have come loose, or did i pop something when the jack basically pulled up on the hitch ball? Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
By all means have a hitch shop or the dealership look at it. Is it a flip over ball? could of damaged the latching pin for that , really kind of hard to say. Hopefully it is not to serious or costly to repair .

·
Registered
317 Posts
You need to figure out what happened and IMHO you should be happy you did whatever you did. If there really is some damage done then your gooseneck ball or its installation was crap and you need to get it fixed. You should be able to literally lift the truck off the ground by that ball if its properly installed.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
There's 1/2 dozen hitch brands and as many mounting methods so it's impossible to advise over the internet. As Randy posted, take it by a trailer shop or dealer so they can check it out.
Things could be worse. At first I thought you were going to say you unhooked the latch, raised the trailer off the ball, then slammed the tailgate shut and then took off. I know 2 guys who did that years ago. :grin2:

·
Registered
839 Posts
hitch ball was more then likely moved up by a 64th of an inch very suddenly as it was in a bind, and made the noise, again you should be able to lift the truck off the ground when the trailer is attached to the ball with a jack or landing gear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts