The Diesel Stop banner

Gooseneck livestock trailer weights

26K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Garbage_Mechanic 
#1 ·
This is basically a 3/4 ton verse 1 ton question, just my own version.
I'm trying to get an idea what a 4 horse Gooseneck trailer pin weight and total weight would be.
I'm thinking of buying a newer truck and trying to figure out if a 3/4 ton would legally work for me.
I'll probabily never get a big fiver, but I will be towing a featherlight Livestock gooseneck with 4 clydes plus harness and hay (I can deal with the horse and harness, etc. calculations. This is my friend's trailer and It would be a pain to wieght it right now.
thanks

these newer 250/2500 trucks have gvwr's that match or exceed my 95 so why not go to a cheaper truck

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Smokey,
Thank you! As always, your replies are very informative. I appreaciate you taking the time out of your day. we don't use slant loads for the big horses, his gooseneck is a livestock trailer so 2 in the front, 2 in the rear, next to each other. I don't know about putting light horses next to each other, but for his teams it works.

I shouldn't tell you this, but my friend uses a late 90s GMC 2500 short bed extended cab 4x4 w/ a 350 to tow that gooseneck!! Mostly he stays local with it but I know how dangerous/illegal that is.

Thank you!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.