The Diesel Stop banner

Gooseneck livestock trailer weights

26K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Garbage_Mechanic 
[ QUOTE ]
The OP shouldn't be the least concerned with hauling those horses on an F250 unless they are some REALLY huge Clydesdales. I've pulled plenty of similar livestock with mine and can attest that for a 2002 F250 4x4, it's no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]We haul heavy warmbloods (in fact both horse and rider are heavier this year, go figure). A trailer built for such animals weighs nearly 10K# empty! If the OP is hauling all the tack for driving such animals and the coach, a dually might be the best recommendation based on the axle ratings.

Sounds like you are hauling quarterhorses. Try thoroughbreds. LOL. Have Craig Sappington tell you some of his horror stories. I have had a horse in a partitioned stall in a slant load trailer somehow hang a leg not over the divider as you might expect but out the window. Broke the wimpy bars, screen and drop down window. Unfortunately, he sliced his leg up good but we noticed it before he lost the leg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It's not the breed, it's how they've been trained.

[/ QUOTE ]Well I believe that! Our draft crosses are extremely well trained (or colt was loading on his one month birthday, LOL) but some of those thoroughbreds are so hot I think the owners are afraid to work with them on the ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.