The Diesel Stop banner

Gooseneck livestock trailer weights

26K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Garbage_Mechanic 
I'm with LMJD here. It's ridiculous to think that you need a duallie to haul four horses. The only time you're going to have a lot of movement in the trailer is if you only have one horse in the trailer. You're supposed to pack livestock into those trailers where they have little room to move about. It keeps them from freaking out, and makes the ride a lot smoother. If you've got one horse in your trailer and don't close the mid-trailer gate, of course he's gonna run around in there! But you should move him up front, and if possible, place a restraining gate (or two) lengthwise in the front compartment to stop his side-ways movement.

The OP shouldn't be the least concerned with hauling those horses on an F250 unless they are some REALLY huge Clydesdales. I've pulled plenty of similar livestock with mine and can attest that for a 2002 F250 4x4, it's no problem.

BTW, that was with a steel trailer, not an aluminum, so even more weight.

I can't say anything to the weight of the coach and associated tack (a saddle, few different bits, reigns, blanker, girth, and halter don't weigh that much) if it's for a team of horses tied to a coach. I'm just stating that the weight for four average horses and trailer for them isn't too much for an F250 or F350 SRW to handle.

Bah, I've got that beat. Most of the horses we've had were 1st generation Mustangs caught in Montana or Wyoming by the government. Talk about unbroke! I have divided those up before, 'cause some of those horses were just plain crazy. As for horses going crazy, I had an Apaloosa stud kick through the 2x8 boards on the floor while going down the highway. Talk about a heart attack! Had to move him to the back of the trailer while on the side of the highway and doctor him up back home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.