The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short as possible version: my son had the truck out and starter went bad. While messing with it he inadvertently left the key on all night. Next morning put new starter in but batts were drained to almost 0.charged back up but when I turned key on for wts as soon as gpr clicked it drew the batts immediately down to where it wouldn't turn over. Recharged batts and turned key all the way over to start and she fired up. This morning same thing. Turned key to wts and started pulling volt meter down fast,turned key and barly had enough batt to start. Will a bad gpr act like that,kinda like a dead short to ground??? Thanks a bunch for any help

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Sounds like your batteries are marginal to bad.

The gpr will pull a lot of amps for only about 2 minutes and then it will shut off. On your initial start it will draw enough amps that you won't be able to start the truck if the batteries are marginal or bad.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping it wasn't the batteries. I can borrow a load tester, I'll check them out after work. The batteries arnt even 2 years old but like I said the boy left the key on all night and drained them to the point that the door locks wouldn't even work

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Batteries are a crap shoot anymore but with only two years on them they should still be able to start your truck if they have a full charge on them. But the nice thing is that they should still have some warranty left in them.

You may also just have one bad one, a load test should tell you.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
The other thing you should check is the cable connections at the battery posts. A dirty connection can cause a similar problem as dead batteries. Voltage drop would show on the meter with a load like the glow plugs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem may be solved. The truck started fine after work yesterday and this morning, both times the glow plugs cycled normally with no excessive draw down. Maybe they just wernt charged enough. Fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
You may still want to do a load test on each battery. Make sure that you disconnect them from each other. I usually just pull the ground off the the battery that I am testing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Clean all your connections! Completely draining a battery can kill it where it won't hold a charge. Can sometimes bring them back with a long slow charge which you may have done by driving it enough. Load test them and if even one is bad always replace them in pairs!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she be good. I'm not droppin another nickel into this thing untill it absolutely has to have it. Original owner, 400,000 miles, rusted to pieces, still get excited every morning to drive it. Thanks for the tips, if 1 or both the batts are bad they'll show themselves when it gets cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts