The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you get a grease nipple on these upper joints. Had Ford install joints and they are greaseable. Do they make special grease nipples to get in there? Anybody have pics or links of what to use?

edit: my mistake, put this in the wrong forum.....mods, please move if you have time.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
There are grease guns that slide sideways over the zerk. They also make 90 degree zerks.

Using my iPhone4S right now

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
The stock ball joints do not have grease fittings. No way to grease them. Most replacement ball joints do have the threads for a grease fitting but does not have them installed. They have a threaded cap that can be removed and a grease fitting screwed into it. Once greased they (uppers) have to be removed because the U-joint will remove it for you.
I am told there is a greasing attachment that is a 90 degree with a pointed rubber end go one can grease without having to install the fitting. Just remove the plug and replace when finished.
Jim

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once greased they (uppers) have to be removed because the U-joint will remove it for you.
Jim
Like I said, my uppers have grease fiitings. Not usre what you are saying here Jimmy. Are you implying not to grease them because for some reason they would then need to be removed?

Thanks Chuck and Jimmy regarding the 90 degree zerks and special fittings for grease guns. I'll have to go look for them.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
One problem with using a smart phone and the AutoGuide app. Can't see signatures so I didn't know it was a 4X4. You are right though, the U-Joint will remove it for you.

Maybe the autoguide app. developers will see this and make an update :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Like I said, my uppers have grease fiitings. Not usre what you are saying here Jimmy. Are you implying not to grease them because for some reason they would then need to be removed?

Thanks Chuck and Jimmy regarding the 90 degree zerks and special fittings for grease guns. I'll have to go look for them.
You don't want 90° fittings. You want the little straight ones like you already have. You need a Lincoln part number 5883 tip for your grease gun. They can be purchased at most auto parts stores for about 10 bucks.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Like I said, my uppers have grease fittings.
You are the first one I have heard of that has the fittings installed that the u-joints have not knocked off.
The advantage of having the grease fittings is to be able to grease them so they will last a bit longer than 50K. I would never suggest to anyone not to grease them.
Jim

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha Jimmy. Now I understand what you were getting at. But my grease fittings are still there.

444.......a big THANK YOU for telling me what specifically to look for.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
444.......are your lower ball joints greaseable? Mine are not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can also put a 90 degree one on there and just grind down the hump alittle to clear the u-joint that's what I did about 5000 miles ago no problems yet

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The U-joints haven't knocked mine off.
I have had 90 degree zerk fitting in for 70K and use my 4WD when ever I need it, like 444-4D I have not knocked off a fitting.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have had 90 degree zerk fitting in for 70K and use my 4WD when ever I need it, like 444-4D I have not knocked off a fitting.
Maybe they stuck up just enough to wear them down instead of breaking, I chose to do as another post replied, and ground down the hump a bit, and all is well. Pretty sure the 90 degree zerks I had would have got broke if left alone.

·
Registered
918 Posts
i've had my upper ball joints installed with 90* nipples that came with them, use my 4x4 pretty hard off road and such. They are still there.... all that needs to be done is grind them down some with a dremel.

·
Registered
566 Posts
All, I have Moog Greasable joints with the shorty straight zerks. I was asking myself the same question Saturday while greasing the front end and replacing the steering stabilzer that had leaked and was useless.

Thanks for the tip. I was at TSC Sunday and forgot to look.

Coolhand

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've got about 85,000 miles on mine with the 90 degree fittings ground down a little bit to clear the u-joint. It's really close but works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts