The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**Coolant Flush Results** Green Coolant mixed with Gold Coolant

My Ford dealer accidentally mixed green coolant into my '08 F250.

Ford replaced the degas reservoir and the tech "mistakenly" added green coolant to the system.

I happen to catch it before they started the truck. I told them they needed to flush the system following the Ford published coolant flush procedure. They indicated they would, however the procedure they use calls out for evacuating the system through the degas bottle via vacuum and not draining the system through the engine block drains and radiator.

Have you guy heard of being able to draining the system through the degas bottle? I don't think it can be done...

I fill the system through the degas bottle using an Airlift vacuum system.

Also, the dealer says Green coolant mixed with Gold will not harm the system. Mixing Orange with Gold is the problem. I completely disagree given Ford's own criteria for the use of Gold vs Green coolant.

What do you think.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Naw you can't pull all of the coolant out though the degas bottle...well you could but that would require you to crush the rad, block and so on. If they did not start it then that is why they came up with this answer and it would only be in the bottle and not the whole system. Ford has always said, do not mix if you do then consider it to be contaminated and a full flush must be done. I would also let them vacuum it out and just flush it at home. Get 20 gal of distilled water from walmart and flush/fill until it comes out with no color then refill with Zerex G05 (pepboys, napa so on). This way you know it was done properly. I don't understand how the tech made the mistake. Hard to mistake a 6.4 for a 7.3??? I attached the official procedure that i "misappropriated" from this post (it is a link) -> http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f35/ford-factory-coolant-flush-proceedure-302110/#post2593505. Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... So they just called me and said they flushed it... Do I trust them, no.

I'm going to do what you recommend with distilled water. Last time I did this I considered Zerex G05 but went with Ford Gold. Is G05 the same as Gold?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So interesting outcome...

They opened a bottle of Gold coolant... I'll be ####, it has a green hue..

I have 2 gallons and it's yellowish almost clear.

When did Ford change the color of Gold coolant to green??

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
They didn't it is still gold (dark yellow). In concentration, it can have a slight green color. Pour a little into the white cap and it will be yellow. Is the bottle you have diluted? I suspect the flush they did is ok. Take some out and put it into a white cap/glass (etc) and see what color it is. Yes, the Zerex G05 is what is in the ford bottles just much cheaper,$15 a bottle for the concentrated the last time i bought it. Make sure you use the concentrated. I would look at it and see if it is yellow. Since it was only in the degas bottle i would be they did enough by flushing it. It should not have any green tint looking at it in a white cap.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They didn't it is still gold (dark yellow). In concentration, it can have a slight green color. Pour a little into the white cap and it will be yellow. Is the bottle you have diluted? I suspect the flush they did is ok. Take some out and put it into a white cap/glass (etc) and see what color it is. Yes, the Zerex G05 is what is in the ford bottles just much cheaper, $15 a bottle for the concentrated the last time i bought it. Make sure you use the concentrated. I would look at it and see if it is yellow. Since it was only in the degas bottle i would be they did enough by flushing it. It should not have any green tint looking at it in a white cap.
I poured, from a sealed Gold concentrated bottle into a clear cup and it was green. The Gold I have at home is older (not the red bottle currently uses) and it's clear/yellowish.

I'll take a picture and post it.

Like I said, I got on them pretty hard when they supposedly flushed the system and it looked like it was green. Not until I opened a sealed Gold bottle that I realized it's green... That's why I asked if Ford changed the color.

·
Premium Member
15,110 Posts
I don't understand why anyone is running Ford Gold in their 6.4s. Certainly the 6.0 crowd learned their lesson with that sludge maker. Since you're going to flush it anyway, why not go in with an extended life coolant and never have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
^+1

I've heard from a person I trust when it comes to these rigs that the gold equiv in bulk (like, big drums) is in fact green- not snot green, but green like a green tea green... but the better choice is as above: red... :)

the gold was reformulated from what I was told, and doesn't drop clods from suspension like the old gold did... and if you're egr deleted, it likely isn't as big an issue, anyway (once the sand from casting is cleared out)... those dang coolers flash heated the crap out of the gold, and accelerated it's dropping crap, which attached to the casting sand (it's formulated to attach to hard parts, creating a protective 'skin'), and couldn't pass through the oil cooler- whallah, clogged oil cooler... thorough proper flush, + a coolant filter, + red coolant, and you're likely never to have an issue with clogged cooler...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
My Ford dealer accidentally mixed green coolant into my '08 F250.

Ford replaced the degas reservoir and the tech "mistakenly" added green coolant to the system.

I happen to catch it before they started the truck. I told them they needed to flush the system following the Ford published coolant flush procedure. They indicated they would, however the procedure they use calls out for evacuating the system through the degas bottle via vacuum and not draining the system through the engine block drains and radiator.

Have you guy heard of being able to draining the system through the degas bottle? I don't think it can be done...

I fill the system through the degas bottle using an Airlift vacuum system.

Also, the dealer says Green coolant mixed with Gold will not harm the system. Mixing Orange with Gold is the problem. I completely disagree given Ford's own criteria for the use of Gold vs Green coolant.

What do you think.

Motorcraft Premium Gold and Motorcraft Green coolant essentially are the same coolant with the exception that the gold contains the DCA... which you can add to the green like we did back in the day and still do during maintenance intervals with the gold. The two coolants are compatible and no flushing is required whatsoever. To remedy this situation, you could either have added enough DCA (VC-8) to bring the nitrite level into specification or simply drained the system and refilled with the gold, again, retesting to ensure the nitrite level is at spec. The use of Motorcraft Orange coolant in any engine where the green or gold coolant is specified is NOT recommended as there are compatibility issues with some gaskets and seals... hence the under hood and owner's guide warnings against it's use. Lastly, mixing orange coolant with either green or gold coolant likely will result in engine damage. The additive packages are completely different and will rapidly degrade the anti-corrosion protection of the coolant.

·
Registered
212 Posts
that's the green tea colored stuff, not the neon... I think you're good.. there is a bulk package that has this color, and it's called 'gold'... I don't know the brand, but it's something like fleetguard or some other bulk brand.... but the question I have is "why is a dealership using this instead of motorcraft?"...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rock_doctor,

I added ~ a quart of GO5 and a quart of the older (white bottle) Gold coolant to bring the level up and ran ~ 200 miles today...

Should I flush it.... Of is the small amount I added going to be OK?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Motorcraft Premium Gold and Motorcraft Green coolant essentially are the same coolant with the exception that the gold contains the DCA... which you can add to the green like we did back in the day and still do during maintenance intervals with the gold. The two coolants are compatible and no flushing is required whatsoever. To remedy this situation, you could either have added enough DCA (VC-8) to bring the nitrite level into specification or simply drained the system and refilled with the gold, again, retesting to ensure the nitrite level is at spec. The use of Motorcraft Orange coolant in any engine where the green or gold coolant is specified is NOT recommended as there are compatibility issues with some gaskets and seals... hence the under hood and owner's guide warnings against it's use. Lastly, mixing orange coolant with either green or gold coolant likely will result in engine damage. The additive packages are completely different and will rapidly degrade the anti-corrosion protection of the coolant.
Ford Doc, Thanks! I took a sample and posted a pic from what's in my degas bottle. Let me know what you think..

Fortunately they did not add Orange coolant... If that would have been the case I think they would have bought themselves a truck...

I added, to bring the level up between the lines, some Gold coolant I had in the white 1 gallon bottle, added about 1 quart. Also, I was still low, so I added ~ 1 quart of GO5, which from my understanding is Ford Gold repackaged. Is this OK?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
rock_doctor,

I added ~ a quart of GO5 and a quart of the older (white bottle) Gold coolant to bring the level up and ran ~ 200 miles today...

Should I flush it.... Of is the small amount I added going to be OK?
Ford_doc said the two were compatible so that means it is ok to mix them.

Valvoline's website has the MSDS for the G05 and they say it is still pale yellow in color (dated 5/22/15). Plus the MSDS from motorcraft says it is pale yellow (picture of the red bottle is on their site and the msds is from 11-2-15). So i honestly don't know what ford is using in their bottles. Go with what Ford_doc said, he knows his stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Coolant Flush Results

OK, so I completed a flush, actually two complete flushes.

12 gallons of Distilled water to flush the system and 5 1/2 gallons of 50/50 (Gold/Distilled) final fill.

Take a look at my degas bottle... It's "tea" green. I purchased 4 gallons of Ford GOLD in the red bottle...

So, it looks like Ford has changed the color of Gold coolant.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd have to agree. Before my rebuild, my degas was never that color. As a matter of fact, sometimes it was had to tell where the level was because the bottle was goldish.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd have to agree. Before my rebuild, my degas was never that color. As a matter of fact, sometimes it was had to tell where the level was because the bottle was goldish.
I still have a gallon of the real Gold. It's what I used to flush the fuel cooler.

The issue I see, someone will mistakenly add Prestone to the system... And the fun begins.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts