The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so for the past month, my drivers side front wheel has been making a grinding noise and a 'metal on metal' noise at slow speeds (about 10-20 mph) while at higher speeds (35+ mph) the tire sounds like I'm constantly running over those reflectors on the road. (Making a 'taptaptaptap' sound).

Thinking it was a wheel bearing/hub assembly, I went ahead and replaced the full hub assembly thinking it would solve the issue. No luck!

The truck will make the noise in 2wd and in 4wd and even if I manually lock the hubs. The u joints are locking when in 4wd and are unlocked in 2wd.

What could be causing this problem? I'm pretty stumped here honestly.

I was told it could be the stub shaft gone bad? Didn't think about checking it when I was replacing the hub assembly. Anyway I can check it without taking the hub assembly back off?

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Check the rear wheels/brakes.
DENNY

·
Registered
385 Posts
My truck had a problem similar to yours 15 years ago (thankfully it was still under warranty). One of the half-shafts (outer or inner I don't remember but want to say inner) has a bearing that has to be pressed on with a special tool (alternately it could be installed with a certain length/diameter pipe and hammered on). Well that bearing went bad and was the source of the metal on metal screeching. Once replaced that went away.

A year later the grinding noise cropped up when the hubs were in free, in that case the spindle bearing was shot and was replaced (big thanks to DENNY for his assistance.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts