The Diesel Stop banner

Grounding problem after cab removal

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  JonH1 
#1 ·
04 Crewcab 6.0 goes in for warranty work and they pull the cab to redo head gaskets and an egr cooler. Upon reassembly, they get a no start condition and change out the ignition module - strange as the truck ran fine other than blowing coolant through the exhaust.

Pick up truck and the next day notice the sound coming through the radio which is common to a leaky or poor ground. Any insight on which wires might be the likely culprit during cab removal?

I'd hate to take it back in and lose it for another week when it might be something I can fix in a few minutes.

Thanks, Jon

Discussion starter · #4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Passenger side cab to frame rail there is a ground strap that can be over looked, or the passenger side neg. bat. cable goes from Bat. to the frame and then to the block.

those are the first two I would check. hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

Dangit - both of those are intact.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
There is an oft forgotten ground strap fom the rear of the right cylinder head to the cowl above the heater box.... This is a fairly long strap that snakes around near the MAP sensor...

[/ QUOTE ]

dangit, that one is intact as well....

Discussion starter · #10 ·
now that i look, the rear tag light circuit is acting up as well. lamps are good, plugs are plugged in, fuse is fine........ light no workie

Discussion starter · #15 ·
when they pull the cab, do the seats come out? If so, there's a chance they didn't install the aftermarket amplifier grounds that were under the rear seat. As it's raining now, I'll check those tomorrow and ensure they are making good contact.

That would not explain the rear tag lights going freaky on me though. While taking it back in for the whiney radio would likely be covered since it wasn't happening before they yanked the cab, I can't say for sure if the tag lights were working before they yanked the cab. I didn't notice them until I started looking at it and would rather not drop another Benjamin on getting tag lights fixed.

Can anyone tell me which color wires or which pin I can check at an upstream plug in order to determine where (and if) power or ground is failing for the tag lights? The lights themselves are fed by two wires and do not have a grounding contact where they plug into the bumper.

Thanks, Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.