The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Does it only occur on a cold start or every time?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
This is another issue with surface rust in the turbo. Some trucks will squeal and some make a grinding or grunting sound. Trust me on this. I have repaired quite a few doing this. Every time it's the unison ring rusted up and rubbing the turbo housing. It will only occur on a cold start. When you start your truck, the oil pressure rises and your VGT turns the unison ring to adjust the vanes. The tolerances are very right in there and surface rust is enough. It won't do it when the engine is warm due to thermal expansion. Trust me on this one. I have much experience on this.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I started it last night when it was cold soaked, and the growl was still present with the HVAC shut off. Takes a few minutes to quiet down. Turbo potential makes sense.... It's under warranty so I guess I need to take it in.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
They will have to keep it for a while to replicate the sound. Even the, depending on your stealer, they might our might not see it as an issue. Technically, it is not harming your truck, it's just annoying as hell. Then again, too might be able to convince then that yet your turbo needs replacing. You always need to make sure that you keep your egt's under 1250° and let you engine warm up to normal temp before shutting it down. High temp and condensation are the cause for the corrosion. When you start your engine, the exhaust will sweat until it is burned off. If you don't burn it off, it will linger and cause rust to form.

L
0 Posts
ford 6.0 growl after start up

Hey Yall. I have a 2005 f-250 I acquired the truck around 2009 from my late father with around 45,000 miles. Shortly after I acquired said truck, randomly after start up it would make a growl noise. About 4 to 6 months after the engine started making said noise the low pressure pump "exploded" and sent shavings throughout my engine. It intern cracked the front housing, which I had to replace along with; high pressure oil pump (the new style), ARP Head stud kit, Black Onyx head gaskets, oil cooler, egr delete kit, complete top end and lower end gasket kits. I drove the truck for about 2 yrs and now its starting to make that noise again. And to inquire to the AC, it worked just fine before the engine quit. I also didnt have tha AC recharged untill ruffly 1.5 yrs after the rebuild. It also made that noise once or twice (very rarely and a long time after the rebuild) before I had the AC recharged. And now it sits more than its drove and almost every time I start it (after a couple days) it makes said growl noise. Oh and now it has around 77,000 miles mostly highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few seconds after I start my truck I hear a growling noise. It is not extremely loud and it only lasts a second or two. Startup is the only time I hear this noise. I've had it to the Dealer a few times and they claim they don't hear it. Anyone else hearing this?
A few seconds after I start my truck I hear a growling noise. It is not extremely loud and it only lasts a second or two. Startup is the only time I hear this noise. I've had it to the Dealer a few times and they claim they don't hear it. Anyone else hearing this?
I am having the same problem. I can start my 7.3 with ac off completely and no growl. When I turn the knob 1 to the right I get it for about 2 seconds. Been trying to figure this out to no avail. I think it may be air in my ac lines. Has not made this noise for 295,000 miles. Changed condencer/dryer and it started. Don't really want to have system evacuated and refilled, but I am running out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts